Stove ID - Jotul or Scandia?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hawkeye

May 29, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
Having trouble ID'ing this stove.

Jotul, or Scandia?

Also - if Jotul, would it be possible to put a new (glass) door on? I noticed the modern version of this stove does appear to have a vent at the bottom of the door for draft, and I think if it would fit it would be OK. Just didn't know if anyone had any experience changing the door.

00w0w_8MrdUs3U8k4_1200x900.jpg 00U0U_4woPFX4DEYp_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that looks like an early Scania, some of which were blatant knock-offs. Look at the bottom of the rear of the stove. See if it says made in Taiwan. It might not. This one looks like they disassembled a Jotul F118 and used it for the casting molds after grinding off the Jotul name and Norwegian text. Here is what the Jotul F118 looks like and then a later knock off by Scania where they added their name and changed the scene on the side.

f118.jpg scania.JPG

The new door might not fit but even if it did the air supply might not be right for the burn. Not sure.

Reactions: cornerstone4.2
Appreciate your help. Was able to confirm with the seller that its made in Taiwan.

That said - are they any good? That shape of stove would fit will with our cabin. While I would prefer to put in a Jotul (we have an F50 at home), part of me wonders if this stove would be worth purchasing if a guy could get it for a good price. He's asking $250 but I think a guy could get it for less.......

Some of the Scandias were ok. The casting may not be as precise as Jotul's fine casting but usable. $200 isn't a bad price if there are no cracks, leaks and the baffle plus burn plates are in good shape. If the burn plates are missing, cracked or warped I'd walk away from it. Same thing for the baffle.

If you have very wide clearances and very good floor shielding it may be okay for a cabin. These stoves were known for poor castings and on occasion they would fail with a fire in them, spilling smoke and hot burning logs on the floor. I saw some pictures once of one of the castings which had failed. It was full of porosity so someone at the factory had filled it in with what looked like bondo, ground it smooth and the paint they used covered it up. .

Pulling no punches - IMHO They are and always have been junk, they were built to deceive suckers when the demand for stoves exceeded the supply of name brands. Some folks get lucky and didnt burn their house down with them. Luckily many of the folks who bought them did not use them long or the installations were substandard so they turned into house decorations.

Having trouble ID'ing this stove.

Jotul, or Scandia?

Also - if Jotul, would it be possible to put a new (glass) door on? I noticed the modern version of this stove does appear to have a vent at the bottom of the door for draft, and I think if it would fit it would be OK. Just didn't know if anyone had any experience changing the door.

View attachment 220701 View attachment 220702

I have the same stove. It’s a Jotul knock off, made in Taiwan. Works great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk