Stove install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dante2

Oct 5, 2008
Okc OK
Ok I tried searching but couldn't find the info I am looking for so here goes. My roof is a 3/12 pitch and the stove is going in the corner. The distance between the drywall and the roof sheathing is about a foot on the low side. I figured on just boxing the pipe from ceiling to roof (with the 2" clearance of course). Does this sound right or am I missing something? My other concern is the paper faced insulation that very close to the pipe. How far should I clear out the paper from the box? What kind of temps will i get from this area of the chimney pipe? Let me know if you need more info and thank you for your help.

You should install the proper attic insulation shield. You never know...mice, or whatever, could move the insulation.

Edit: I just reread that you're boxing it in. I'd do it with sheet metal. Though, if you build it yourself an inspector may not approve it due to not being UL approved.

I had planned on boxing it in to keep the insulation out when I add more later. The box is 2x12 on all four sides. As far as boxing from ceiling to roof it was just a thought. My biggest concern is the paper around this area.

If the box gives you the clearance and keeps the insulation away then you should be all set.

This a simple drawing of the plan.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.