Stove life.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Is there such a thing as how long a stove will last. Im not talking about emissions or replacement parts, over-fire but just how long the steel or cast will last if use correctly.

I would imagine forever. Fishers from the 70s come to mind when I think of old stoves. How many of them are still around running and heating homes today? I think a lot of folks switch out stoves more due to tecnology advancements and efficiencies, than from stoves "burning out". Also some insurance companies require udated UL listed stoves, to be covered as a secondary heat so that pushes some to buy new stoves as well. If used properly I'm sure there is no limit to the "life"

I would imagine forever. Fishers from the 70s come to mind when I think of old stoves. How many of them are still around running and heating homes today? I think a lot of folks switch out stoves more due to tecnology advancements and efficiencies, than from stoves "burning out". Also some insurance companies require udated UL listed stoves, to be covered as a secondary heat so that pushes some to buy new stoves as well. If used properly I'm sure there is no limit to the "life"
I agree with you as long as the stove is designed and built properly. And like said before it is always run correctly. A cast stove is eventually going to need to be torn down and rebuilt because the cement in the seams will break down with the expansion and contraction of normal use. And things like bricks and baffles will need replaced.

Is there such a thing as how long a stove will last. Im not talking about emissions or replacement parts, over-fire but just how long the steel or cast will last if use correctly.

The crappy design of my hearthstone heritage meant it had a very short useful life. The hinges and latches were part of the casting. So as the hinge pins wore into the fixed part of the hinge the stove became trash. All moving parts are subject to wear.

There are some poorer designed and quality stoves out there. But the good ones seem like they can be run forever with minimum maintenance issues. Based on the issues people post here, I think most of the stove killing issues have to do with running the stove hard and over firing. Maybe it's unavoidable if the stove is too small for the heat required.

Last edited by a moderator: