Stove Lighting in 15 days J.A. Jung Sirius wood stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
FWIW, 17% wood is what we normally burn. It may get a bit drier in summer, but this is where it stabilizes in winter. Hard to keep it drier when the ambient humidity is 85% or higher in winter.

FWIW, 17% wood is what we normally burn. It may get a bit drier in summer, but this is where it stabilizes in winter. Hard to keep it drier when the ambient humidity is 85% or higher in winter.

Being that she can't resplitt the wood, I am assuming that the moisture readings are not very accurate. In Clancy's favor is that Colorado winters probably don't get anywhere near 85% humidity.

That's true Korndale but I do drill holes in the split as far as I can and stick the meter in and that's the best that I can do and they always come up at 10%--kiln dried oak 1/4th of a round piece that I would like to even split further but can't and my stove installer put it to his cheek and said it was dry..But I have to get out my drill and fool with the wood--hate it---lol,,but i really want to make sure that my wood is dry...Now the mixed not kiln dried I am not so sure about because that has registered from 16% to 18% and one time it was 12% so I struggle and in my defense---this climate here is so very very dry and this is good for firewood drying....Yea we never get 85% humidity that's why I need to use a lot of lotion to try to keep my skin moist--you people are lucky in the way of moisturizing the skin, but I am fortunate in drying firewood and to tell you the truth I would invest in one of those large kilns for thousands of dollars if i had the money and put it right back in my back yard...it would get rid of bugs too...snow coming...clancey

Reactions: kborndale
Well getting ready for another fire and took some pictures so that you can see how I am attempting to load and i have very little kindling so I want outside to see what my honest locust was donating on the ground and this is what I got---then I started 'eyeing the tree" oh no--I'm addicted I tell you..lol Well I have about 6 kiln dried oak pieces and three or four of those quick survive and about four or five of paper towels rolled up so wanted to know you opinion and maybe too much wood or something--won't light it until it gets cold and snows just getting ready and you all think that I can go with this...pictures coming...clancey

wood for stove stacking 002.JPG wood for stove stacking 004.JPG wood for stove stacking 006.JPG

Now i loaded this stove for a real cold day and it is six kiln dried 16 inch oak pieces and will lite it when some of you tell me its okay and safe enough to light that much wood in my stove because I do not want to burn my house down and I can take out some of the wood too--just waiting for a real cold day...clancey

The trick with full loads is to tight pack the stove, not lincoln log style or criss-crossed. That allows too much air between the splits which can cause them to ignite quicker. Instead load the splits N/S or E/W fairly tightly with a V notch on top in which to start the top down fire. My preference is N/S, but I have never run a Roby stove. Once the top logs start to burn well (not all the wood) start turning down the air in increments, around 50% each time or until the flames get lazier. Then wait and repeat when the flames regain strength in 5-10 minutes. And repeat.

Thanks I will reload the stove again your way and take a picture before i burn again and this time I will most likely load less--afraid of too big of a fire for now---thanks...I will take a picture before I light it just in case I could load it even better..The stove is working pretty good I think but it just is not cold enough yet to see how hard the chimney will be to warm up when I first start it to get the draft going and get some kind of a feel for it ....clancey

With a straight-up chimney, it shouldn't be an issue when it's cold outside unless the closed-in porch area is also very cold.

The trick with full loads is to tight pack the stove, not lincoln log style or criss-crossed. That allows too much air between the splits which can cause them to ignite quicker. Instead load the splits N/S or E/W fairly tightly with a V notch on top in which to start the top down fire. My preference is N/S, but I have never run a Roby stove. Once the top logs start to burn well (not all the wood) start turning down the air in increments, around 50% each time or until the flames get lazier. Then wait and repeat when the flames regain strength in 5-10 minutes. And repeat.
Tightly stacked like that would be good for a hot reload...I sure wouldn't want to be trying to do a cold start like that though...for a beginner I would advise a small log cabin style, with a few pieces for a "roof"...with kindlin and fire starter inside "the cabin"

Thanks everyone..Now i am feeling like a "woodswoman" ready to go to the woods and pick up wood pieces tomorrow and dry those out...lol Pretty soon I will be a lumberjack when I graduate...I built another fire stove load and I have very little kindling wood because my truck has clutch problems and could not buy any..., but I have honey locust pieces and paper towel balls and three of those quick starter packages and I stack four pieces of wood in place trying to do sort of a north--south and a pocket in the middle...Also I have a saw and when I get someone to show me how to work it do you think I will be able to cut up some wood with it to get it smaller than 18 inches maybe 16 inches for a easier load.. don't want to hurt my wood stove with too big of pieces and would like to do NS if suggested...I could do EW too but for now I built kind of a pocket in the middle..Wood is 12% and temperature outside is about 44 degrees and tonight will be 33 degrees so I wait until it gets colder and see how this works out...Be critical because I can reload and stack again but what do you all think?...old clancey

building a fire in the stove 001.JPG building a fire in the stove 002.JPG building a fire in the stove 003.JPG

Well after the wind storm I decided I was going to "rest" today and light my fire--lol...My porch was so very cold this morning made me uncomfortable especially since I had some work to do out there so I lite my wood stove and took pictures...I kind of like that loading of the wood way with the little pocket in it but I also like loading it and having the fire come from the bottom and then go up top instead of small wood and stuff on the top first---I am adjusting to see which way is best for me I guess...I love my stove..Took some pictures and especially the stack and if you see too much smoke coming out please let me know if it is normal looking smoke coming out...appreciate..clancey

stove day 001.JPG stove day 011.JPG stove day 004.JPG stove day 010.JPG

I used the stove all day today and learned a lot and it sure does heat well and I am so glad that I got it for emergencies for it burns and keeps temperature really nice--happy with it...This is a old thread and will end it soon..like now...lol clancey