Stove Lighting in 15 days J.A. Jung Sirius wood stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It moved up so quickly to 800 and just wondered if it would go even higher--scared me but its a beautiful heat and at 675 now and heat moving all through the house "really gentle feeling" what a beautiful stove so far-lol... When the flames go down I wonder if I can throw in two more 16 inch logs kiln dried and do I move the ashes around a bit on the bottom of the stove..how high in height can these ash coals be?..Just wondering.. My stove installer brought a moisture meter for the wood but did not bring a double sided battery for it--brand new in the box--so he judged the wood and said it was dry enough...??...Just wanted to light the stove and be gone---lol...But its burning nicely...clancey

I wrote another post and thanks so much--its a beautiful heat and the blower is on and that heat is capable of heating my whole house with the french doors open---how nice...There is no smoke coming out of the stack outside and the stove person (installer) mentioned something about "tubes" working excellent--greek to me---bless you all --thanks..
Here are pictures of the stove room from the other side... It is 96 inches wide and 145 inches long--the room...that has french doors that open to the rest of the house which is 23 feet by 23 feet with an added laundry room with a extra shower..about 8 feet by five...But the heat seems to be able to heat the whole house and it flows nicely to the back bedroom...clancey

stove room other side 001.JPG stove room other side 004.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Well today was the stove lighting and I have some pictures. To my surprise there was hardly any smoke coming out of the outside stack and very little smoke inside the stove and the only smoke I saw was the burning off of the paint on the outside..Now when he shut the door and the flame was low I saw some smoke inside the stove..(scared me)--lol.. The blower automatically came on when it reached a certain temperature --no switch--for it or anything...The heat is "lovely" and "soft" and Yes I can get addicted to this..lol...Pictures now....Thanks everyone for all your help and this project was a success....Stove burning now and I am drinking coffee sitting in front of it..old clancey

View attachment 284221 View attachment 284222 View attachment 284223 View attachment 284224 View attachment 284225 View attachment 284226 View attachment 284227 View attachment 284228 View attachment 284229
NICE!!! Congrats. Hurdle taken!

I do think 800 F is high. I'd close the air a bit if it goes there. You do know how to do that, right?

I think 600 F stove top is best?
There are threads here about precisely this. E.g.:

Reactions: clancey
Well that's a nice little posting--lol--yea took the hurdle--now that I know what to expect I will leave it go to coals now or I could throw in another 1/4 of a split or two--liking it...Yea I changed the air supply to a little less and the blower went on and scare me--this blower on and off with the temperature kind of neat how it works automatically---My stove burning lesson is over...and i will leave it rest a bit and think about maybe lighting it again alone at a later time...thanks. clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
You can test that stove top thermometer by putting it in the oven. Heat up the oven to 400F and see if the thermometer reads the same temp. Sometimes they can be 100F off the actual temp.

Thanks I will do that for my oven is really exact with temperatures-seems like that anyway--my bread does well....I wanted the kind of temperature gauge that screwed into the piping but the stove man said that he did not want to make a hole in the (flu I guess) and this one he thought was better...so we will see and I will put it in the oven next time I make bread which will be soon and we will see how well it gives temperatures...Stove is resting now and cooling off and it was a good experience..thanks. It went up so quick it scared me--eagle eyes here--lol also we are one mile up high here in my area and do not know if that makes a difference as well...thanks clancey

a probe in the flue is better than on the stove top. But for now, so be it.
Being 1 mile up would decrease the speed with which the stove ramps up, because it decreases the draft of your system. (In fact, when located higher, one is generally advised to add length to the flue as compared to a location at sea level in order to maintain the needed draft.)

Wonderful information and next time I light it up "when it gets really cold" we will see how all of this will work especially for warming the rest of the house..Just a first try and it was pleasant for that heat is a tender warming type of heat and really feels good...my blower works good too and spreads the heat out on the top of the stoves and has two small fans with sort like hoods on the bottom of the stove side..kind of neat...thanks clancey

Is the air control being used to regulate the fire?

I have one of these and order the wireless version. It’s a thermometer that has alarm temps you can set. I really like it/them. It’s nice to know that if you light a fire and get distracted you will be reminded to go back and take care of the stove before anything gets damaged. Setting the temp alarm is not the most straight forward process but once set it never needs adjustment.

Reactions: MrCool1 and clancey
That particular one is convenient and excellent to use for the reasons you wrote But--I am one of those---who do not have wifi and use the old fashion way of hooking up my computer and stuff with hard wiring the wires for I got rid of wifi and just relearning on the "old way"once again..Next week I will get one of those tin hats to wear--kidding...I did find out something interesting about the stove..I ask the installer who cleans stoves too how much he would charge to get a yearly contract thinking about our chimney sweep who likes more up to date stoves rather than my favorite which are the bear family ones...lol.. Well anyway I asked him how much he charges and he said yearly it is 283.00 --one time...Then I asked him how he would clean it and he said he would take out the inside of the stove top and have these "things" (forget the name he said) and go up the flu so I thought.
They have to take apart my stove and I do not know if I like that idea...but did not say anything..Just sharing it on here to see what you people think about this...thanks..clancey

begreen no not at that 800 increase for the stove installer did something with it so I left it at that setting but one of ours on here suggested for me to change the air supply so I moved it for less air on the front of it and that calmed it down a bit...and I just left it in that position but I can get more air to it if I use it and the fire gets brighter so I keep it where it is for now...We lite that fire at 8:30 and at about 9:30 the installer Chris threw in two more logs and then about 11:00 I got brave and threw in two more 1/4 splits 16 inches long and now it is 2:30pm and that fire is still warming the porch with the coals and the temperature on the gauge now is about 250 and still has some red in the coals and still warming the porch which is nice.. clancey

That particular one is convenient and excellent to use for the reasons you wrote But--I am one of those---who do not have wifi and use the old fashion way of hooking up my computer and stuff with hard wiring the wires for I got rid of wifi and just relearning on the "old way"once again..Next week I will get one of those tin hats to wear--kidding...I did find out something interesting about the stove..I ask the installer who cleans stoves too how much he would charge to get a yearly contract thinking about our chimney sweep who likes more up to date stoves rather than my favorite which are the bear family ones...lol.. Well anyway I asked him how much he charges and he said yearly it is 283.00 --one time...Then I asked him how he would clean it and he said he would take out the inside of the stove top and have these "things" (forget the name he said) and go up the flu so I thought.
They have to take apart my stove and I do not know if I like that idea...but did not say anything..Just sharing it on here to see what you people think about this...thanks..clancey
Yes you take the stove apart to clean it that is standard practice

He mentioned something about tubing up there or something and this has something to do with the smoke coming out of the chimney--sounds intricate to me and my stove is brand new...One thing i did not like was in another category here--He just wanted to grab the outside wood shed wood and that is a mixed variety but not as well seasoned as the splits inside my house for I just got it the other day and told him I do not know if it is seasoned enough for its been outside in the wood shed but it rained somewhat and the area was damp--he did not seem to care about the dryness of the wood. This kind of bothered me...just sharing here...clancey

He mentioned something about tubing up there or something and this has something to do with the smoke coming out of the chimney--sounds intricate to me and my stove is brand new...One thing i did not like was in another category here--He just wanted to grab the outside wood shed wood and that is a mixed variety but not as well seasoned as the splits inside my house for I just got it the other day and told him I do not know if it is seasoned enough for its been outside in the wood shed but it rained somewhat and the area was damp--he did not seem to care about the dryness of the wood. This kind of bothered me...just sharing here...clancey
Yes you would remove the tubes and pull the baffle. I would do this if I was cleaning from the top or bottom

Congrats on a successful first fire! With time, adjusting the combustion air intake control will become intuitive.

Thanks old goat and it was very interesting for me (first time)--with humor I ask Chris--the installer if he was going to make good if my house burned down--he laughed knowing that my nerves were bad but it was not bad at all and to my amazement that wood stove is still warm to the touch and the room is about 60 degrees with no heat and normally it would have been about 50 degrees at this time...I think I threw in 2 split kiln dried 16 inch oak logs last in the afternoon--have to check the prior posting and then I am just leaving it get cold again..But it is 10:30 pm and the stove is still warm to the touch and the room is warmer than usual--how nice...That heat is really special and last time I experienced that kind of warmth was in Arizona about November after a swim in a hotel outside and I sat there just drying off in that kind of heat feeling--how nice...I went and picked up three birdies for my friend died and I promised I would take care of them--quite a trip..One of those birdies is still alive and she is about 17 years old and a disabled pigeon with a leg going out sideways but she eats good..lol...Her name is Gimie and she has outlived three husbands...clancey

Well I was going to attempt to throw in a few splits but could not get the door to the stove opened..It catches in the square type of hold and I cannot open it,,I tried lifting on the spring kind of handle and also down pushing it and pulling it open--finally it opened --hard---and I took pictures. I won;t lite it now for I am afraid now I won;t be able to ever open it up....Who do I call?...What do I do? i notice on the door next to the square hole where the door lock goes in there is a screw that is not screwed in all the way like the other one...Took pictures hope you can see it..clancey

stove door 001.JPG stove door 008.JPG stove door 003.JPG stove door 004.JPG stove door 006.JPG

I've never seen the stove, but it looks like the door handle does not go up or down. From the picture it looks like the handle goes left to open and right to latch the door closed. Just guessing, but the screw to the left of the rectangular hole appears like it might be for latch adjustment, if the tab in the rectangular hole is movable when the screw is loose.

Wow I think you are right and will have my stove person come back and take a look at this--thanks so much...I have been complaining about this door handle from the very beginning even with the stove man --now maybe he will take a good look at it..or train me how to open up the stupid door..I think this is a real bad design and I am going to write to the company...lol Thanks begreen..

If you ever get the installer back at your house, ask them to teach you how the stove works. Do you still have the manual?

ha ha ---I been reading it a little and that should make "some people on here happy"...I just e-mailed my stove person and I hope this week they get back to me...The handle on the door is so so so hard to even move not pulling it out or putting it in and feels real real stiff as well..There is a wide type of screw holding it to the door and I think that if that was loosen a bit it would help so I am going to suggest that to the stove person Chris when he gets here maybe next week I am hoping..I mentioned it many times to him but he told me it was just because the stove is new but I do not think this is the case..Pictures coming of the screw...that's too tight..Well I just figured it out and not blaming anyone but my stove person told me when I opened up the door to lift that lever up and open the door but this is not so--I put some hand soap on that nut or whatever it is and now I can easily open up the door by moving it like begreen said to the right or the left and I think now that I know how it is perfectly fine...Now I will get my two or three splits of wood for the night and try to light it by myself because my porch is getting cold so we will see...thanks everyone..clancey Oh I do have one more question how much coals should i leave in to put the wood on top of maybe one inch high or should I take the larger pieces out and put them in the bucket..? Thanks so much....I will take a picture of my first fire by myself..lol clancey

stove screw or nut 008.JPG stove screw or nut 005.JPG

Last edited: