Stove newbie needs help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyflours

Feb 2, 2015
Watkinsville GA
I have a jotul gas stove that came with the house. I ran the stove a few times and it ran well. I did not turn it on for the past 4 years and I tried to light it last week with no avail. I came to the conclusion that the gas was out and got that filled today. I still can not get it to light. The tank is a large tank 50-100 yards away and all the valves are open. When trying to light it there is not a stong gas smell which I find odd. When I try to light the pilot even with a lighter it does nothing. I can hear hissing when I have the piolot button depressed.

I thought that maybe there was non-propane gas in the line and had it on "high" on and still never smelled gas.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

You need to have the gas line bled between the tank & the stove's control valve.
If you think you can do that SAFELY, let me know & I will explain the procedure to you.
If you have ANY DOUBTS WHATSOEVER about your abilities, call your gas company.

like Bob said, safety is first concern. read the instructions!

personally i'd remove the glass and try to light manually with a bbq lighter, you may have a clogged pilot orifice if you are un able to get gas to come out...

Have the LP company bleed the line, or be prepared to hold that button in and flicking a lighter for up to an hour to bleed the line thru the pilot orifice. Really would prefer seeing the LP company come out. If it is there tank and you ran out of LP, they should be obligated to pressure test the whole system and re light all appliance pilots.

Reactions: DAKSY
Have the LP company bleed the line, or be prepared to hold that button in and flicking a lighter for up to an hour to bleed the line thru the pilot orifice. Really would prefer seeing the LP company come out. If it is there tank and you ran out of LP, they should be obligated to pressure test the whole system and re light all appliance pilots.

Yep. What Fsappo said. Gas company SHOULD be obligated to relight ALL pilots if their tanks go dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.