Stove or furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishn

Mar 9, 2008
North Van , BC
Hello newbie here.
Here is my issue.

I have a 1980 furnace that heats my kitchen,dining and living room. It does not heat the 2 bedrooms on that floor. They have electric baseboards.
The furnace heats a tv room and kids playroom downstairs. Yet they are never down there. Those rooms also have elctric baseboards. My sons room is also downstairs and has electric base boards.

I cut the baseboards at the fuse panel as they were coming on when it was getting cold. I would rather zone heat those rooms with plug in ceramic heaters.
I would rather keep my furnace and use it when I needed to get rid of a chill, but I want to put in a wood stove that would heat our living area(kitchen,dining and living room) it might even make it down the short hallway to the 2 bedrooms. The total upstairs area is only 1100 square feet.

Again I would heat the bedrooms up and down and the tv and kids playroom(if they ever used them) with plug in ceramic or some other kind of electric heat.

I know a wood stove is an effort but I am oK with that, also I would need only but the first cord as I am surrounded by people giving away firewood.Also I would get an epa approved stove.

Does anyone agree with ne or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi flyfishin,

I don't know if BC has lowes or home depot or ace hardware or true value hardware
but I was going to recommend www.englanderstoves.com

the model 50-30ncp in englander or the summersheat model 50-snc30lc are both rated for 2000 sq ft the summersheat is reg 979.oo while the englander is 1139.oo both the same stove ,but englander has immatation gold trim while summersheat has pewter trim & a lower price.

www.overstockstoves.com also has the stove on sale now for 799.oo ship included.
model 50-tnc-30 rated 2,200 sq ft. same stove as the others above with minor trim additions.

englander also makes 2 smaller models the 13 ncp is rated 1000 sq ft & they have a 1800 sq ft model also. Blower is an extra cost option on all models from www.englanderstoves.com
for 159.99 The stove comes with a back heatshield scrored out for a knockout plate to install the blower on the back. DIY in 20 min.

All models of the englander stoves are highly fuel efficient secondary burn stoves, 74 % efficient, that put little or no smoke up the chimney.

You might check this out against the prices of the flame that jimbob recommended.

....Copied and pasted from overstockstoves.com site:
We cannot sell or ship to Canada or outside of the 48 contiguous states.

We have Home Cheapo stores up here in Canada, but they ONLY sell Century stoves there, and for more $$$ than Canadian Tire charges for them.
The Century stoves are quite a bit lighter than the Flames and Drolets sold @ home Hardware. You get a lot less stove for a bit less $$$

Great thanks all. Do you agree that I should go wood stove instead of upgrading the furnac?
I would like to slowly get off the grid as muh as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.