Stove pipe adapter for 6 1/8" flue opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cblu

Jun 8, 2021
Inverness, CA
Hello!

I have a new stove from Supreme (Novo 18) and the flue opening on the stove is 6 1/8". The stove pipe adapter is supposed to go inside this opening. However the stove pipe adapter I have from Duravent is 5 7/8" so it falls right into the stove and is not flush. See image. Both the stove and the adapter are for 6" pipe.

What is the right stove pipe adapter for a 6 1/8" opening like this? Essentially, I need something that fills the 6 1/8" hole and opens up to a female 6" opening.

IMG_6550.jpg

Try the stovepipe directly into the flue collar. It could be that no adapter is needed. We don't have one on our stove.

Try the stovepipe directly into the flue collar. It could be that no adapter is needed. We don't have one on our stove.
I tried that, but the male side of the stovepipe is 6", so it falls right through. The female side is more snug, that would be installing the stovepipe upside-down.

Is this single or double-wall stovepipe?

Single, but I'm ok buying double-wall if that will actually fit.
It sounds like cutting off the crimped end would solve the issue.

The part above the crimp is also too narrow. What do you think about widening the crimp to create a seal?
You're right. I forgot that DuraBlack has the slightly larger female socket end. I'd probably install it normally, crimped end down, no adapter, and stuff some 1/8" flat gasket around to fill the gap.

The part above the crimp is also too narrow. What do you think about widening the crimp to create a seal?
You absolutely could hammer out the crimped end but gasket is easier