Stove pipe and hookup to oval chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromHollywood

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Pacific Northwest
These photos show how my stove was connected. Stove outlet is 6". I want to get rid of the downward slope you see in this short piece of pipe going from the stove to the liner. I'm trying to get an upward slope for better venting.

The 6" tee is connected to oval Z-Flex (by Flexmaster). The oval Z-Flex is 10" in diameter.

Once I get rid of the downward slope, there won't be much room to hookup the tee to the oval Z-Flex.

What would you recommend I use to hook up the stove to this oval liner? I'm open to replacing what I need to. I just want to do it right.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• DSCN0323.jpg
    DSCN0323.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,871
  • DSCN0339.jpg
    DSCN0339.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,458
  • DSCN0334.jpg
    DSCN0334.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSCN0338_smaller.jpg
    DSCN0338_smaller.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 937
Man I'm surprised no one has jumped on this. I'm not a expert by no means in fact i had a h*ll of a time installing mine but i think with that liner squashed down like that it really reduces your draft.

You should be able to get an adapter. I have an oval flex liner and the manufacturer provided a simple adapter to connect 6" round to the oval liner. Mine came from Chimney liner depot.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 936
Homesaver brand makes a T that is oval, but has a 6" round take off. It's called the "small Ovalflex Tee". The Tee is 12" high and the oval part is 4.5" x 10.5.
If that Tee will fit and you have some room to work above that lintel, I'd cut the oval liner off so that when the Tee is connected, the take-off on the Tee is 2 - 3" higher than the stove flue. Then just connect the round take-off to the stove.
Solves a draft problem and that hack from oval to round.
Good luck.

I checked with ChimneyLinerDepot.com and their adaptors only work when the sizes are the same----6" round to a 6" oval. My round is 6" but the oval is about 10" across by 3" wide (not sure how you use dimensions when dealing with ovals---rounds are easier). They said I'd have to use a custom metal shop.

That Homesaver small ovalflex tee sounds just like what I need. They sure are expensive though----about $150. for that with the cap. I didn't realize a piece of metal could be so expensive. Maybe I can find a better deal on a used one on ebay or somewhere.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Moderator notice...
This thread looked like it was turning into a "bidding war" - including an offer to undercut other dealers for the needed parts. This is NOT appropriate behaviour for the forums. While we don't object to general price comparisons, and pointers to sources where needed parts can be found, this is NOT a sales venue as such... We value our "industry members" but we do not want to have the forums degenerate into a bunch of price wars between different vendors.

It would have been OK to mention that the company one represents offers an appropriate product for a given need, but this thread went beyond that. I am closing the thread, and asking the Webmaster to look at the posts in question (which have been moved to a non-visible holding area) and take appropriate actions...

FromHollywood, I'm sorry this developed on your thread, hopefully you've gotten some good advice, and if you need to possibly start a new thread where hopefully our vendor members will be better behaved...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.