Stove Pipe Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I am considering a woodstove placed on a hearth pad infront of my heatolator fireplace tied into a T Snout and up the existing metal flue in a 6 inch insulated SS liner. The existing flue is 8 inches and has room to be lined to a 6 inch and bring it into code. The liner will terminate into a T in the ceiling of the fireplace.

Reading the woodstove instructions - even a double walled stove pipe (tied horizontally into the T snout) requires a minimum of 6 inches to any non-combustable or combustable surface.

Does this include the ceiling of the heatolator fire box and the cultured stone facade? So the stove pipe - basically needs to be centered in the fireplace and no more than 6 inches to the top? Is there anyway around this?

I am trying to find a woodstove that will work in this situation. Most cast stoves have the reversible flue collars and if they are not too tall - they would work. I have about 32 inches from the floor to the top of the fireplace T snout. I wish I had more space.

However, if the stove pipe requires 6 inches of clearance - this is going to knock it down to the point that I won't be able to find a stove that fits and is that short.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If I can't work things out with the liner - I may have to pull it all out and install Class A and do a thimble or alcove install. But I am trying to save money and make a less than permanent install - since I may need to move in a few years.

The Oslo has a rear pipe that centers at 25" which might work for you.

6" from non-combustables? I thought it was only to combustables...

Status
Not open for further replies.