Stove pipe install help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

j.dhogg

Dec 22, 2017
Central Missouri
Anyone in mid MO interested in helping install thru wall stove pipe for a wood burning stove (Warsaw, MO area)? I have enough questions about the install, that it would be great to just get someone with some experience out here.

Have you checked http://csia.org and https://www.nficertified.org/ to see if there is a certified sweep or installer in your area that could do the installation?
I’ll check it out. Thank you. There is a local installer I know of but I’ve requested a quote several times over several months and still nothing. I finally just bought a thru wall kit and pipe from Lowe’s. All I lack is starting. :)
Main concerns are how to make a professional install where the pipe exits the exterior wall (vynal siding) and what to do about where the pipe extends past the roofline. Should the roof be notched out to allow pipe to run straight up, should I add angle pieces to go around the roof line, or extend far enough out from the exterior wall to avoid the roofline alltogether?

Take some pictures inside and out and post them here so that we can see the setup. Also, list the parts you have purchased so that we can see if it's complete.

Is it safe to assume this will be going through a conventionally framed wood stud wall?

Side of House.jpg Overhang.jpg Indoor Stove Location.jpg Hampton H300.jpg Supervent dimension.jpg Supervent pipe.jpg Thru wall kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The walls are traditional wood frame on 16" centers. Pictures provide a good idea of my supplies. I would go straight up, but unfortunately there's a second roofline nearly inline with where the pipe would exit the roof. I could probably barely meet the 2" of required clearance around the pipe if I went thru the soffit, however I don't know of any flashing that would work that close to the edge of the roof. I'm thinking my best options are to use extended wall supports to clear the edge of the roof or to use an elbow kit to go around the roof edge. Thoughts on either of those options, or other advise?
I appreciate your thoughts and time!

If you have some basic construction skills/knowledge. The through the wall kit is pretty straight forward to install but you probably need 2 people installing it. As in regards to the overhang you can buy offsets which I had to buy 2x 30 degree offsets to run up past the soffit

Screenshot_20190113-211801_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, and that looks great! Do the elbows cause any issues when cleaning the chimney?
Would you mind taking a close up pic of where the pipe exits the exterior wall (when it’s light out of course)? Zooming in would be good enough, I don’t expect you to get a ladder out.

Thanks, and that looks great! Do the elbows cause any issues when cleaning the chimney?
Would you mind taking a close up pic of where the pipe exits the exterior wall (when it’s light out of course)? Zooming in would be good enough, I don’t expect you to get a ladder out.

Yeah I'll try to get a picture when I can, as for the cleaning I haven't cleaned it yet as I have only had it installed less than a month ago. But i think they only make offsets in double wall in 15 and 30 degrees for this reason for ease of cleaning.

The Supervent instructions explicitly say - Never offset an exterior chimney. If this is the plan you need to choose a different chimney pipe that allows an exterior offset. Before proceeding, think one last time about going straight up, perhaps by placing the stove in a different location.

Do you have the Supervent installation guide? It has detailed instructions covering different options. Here is an outside chimney install going up through the soffit.
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 7.20.07 PM.png

Thanks Begreen. Just read that in Supervents instructions online. Confuses me because I spoke with a Supervent rep over the phone and asked that question specifically and they said it could be used outside, however I won’t take any chances.

I’ll take a closer look at the straight up option. Otherwise, know of a good source for extended support brackets?

Yeah I'll try to get a picture when I can, as for the cleaning I haven't cleaned it yet as I have only had it installed less than a month ago. But i think they only make offsets in double wall in 15 and 30 degrees for this reason for ease of cleaning.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

I would go straight up through before notching an eave. That just looks like crap to me. JMO. It looks like it will work fine without moving the stove to a different location. You will be well within the area behind a knee wall if the upstairs is already finished.

Thanks Begreen. Just read that in Supervents instructions online. Confuses me because I spoke with a Supervent rep over the phone and asked that question specifically and they said it could be used outside, however I won’t take any chances.

I’ll take a closer look at the straight up option. Otherwise, know of a good source for extended support brackets?
Yes, that is right out of their install manual. I think this is true for all Selkirk chimney pipe. There are other manufacturers that do allow an offset to be in an exterior chimney. DuraTech being one of them.

Here is an extended wall support bracket that will go to 14" full extension. Selkirk also makes them. If you need more distance you may need to put a 2x4 block under the bracket legs.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rock-vent-extended-wall-support.php

I would go straight up through before notching an eave. That just looks like crap to me. JMO. It looks like it will work fine without moving the stove to a different location. You will be well within the area behind a knee wall if the upstairs is already finished.
I can see going straight up will solve a lot of my concerns. I’m going to take another look at it. May be able to make it work. My biggest issue was the

I agree that notching the roof probably won’t look great. Didn't get home early enough to take additional measurements. I’m less concerned about the knee wall being in the way than the second roofline. I’ll take a better pic of what I’m referring to tomorrow when I take some measurements.

Yes, that is right out of their install manual. I think this is true for all Selkirk chimney pipe. There are other manufacturers that do allow an offset to be in an exterior chimney. DuraTech being one of them.

Here is an extended wall support bracket that will go to 14" full extension. Selkirk also makes them. If you need more distance you may need to put a 2x4 block under the bracket legs.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rock-vent-extended-wall-support.php
I went with Supervent because I thought I read about more issues with the Dura Vent, but perhaps I should have gone that route. The extended support bracket may be the way to go. Thanks.

DuraTech pipe is very good. We've heard almost zero issues here, or at least I don't recall any in the past. Our DuraTech is over 12 yrs old and doing fine with no issues at all. webby3650 has installed a lot of it too. DuraPlus triple-wall is cheaper, but for a reason.

DuraTech pipe is very good. We've heard almost zero issues here, or at least I don't recall any in the past. Our DuraTech is over 12 yrs old and doing fine with no issues at all. webby3650 has installed a lot of it too. DuraPlus triple-wall is cheaper, but for a reason.

I may have confused DuraPlus with DuraTech. Will definitely consider the DuraTech.

Have you heard many negatives about Supervent/Selkirk?