Stove Pipe Probe Thermo on Single Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Ive been inspired to get a probe thermometer after reading the "highest temp" thread. I also remember reading a thread stating probe thermometers on single wall pipes are less accurate. My pipe is predrilled.
Two questions: is it correct about a probe on a single wall and how do I tell if it's single or double other than calling the installer?

I use a probe on my single-wall flue. It may or may not be accurate, but I only use it to gauge relative temperature. I let the stove-top thermometer tell me whether I'm about to overfire the stove. I use the probe to give me some idea of how much heat is going up the flue. If the temps were to get in the red zone, I'd be cranking down the primary air, regardless of the "accuracy" of the probe.

What I like to see is the probe temperatures climbing when I first load the stove. Then, when I begin to turn down the primary air, I like to see the stove-top temps rising and the flue temps falling.

(P.S. The inaccuracy will be in the direction of the probe thermometer reading too high, so it's a conservative inaccuracy.)

Ive been inspired to get a probe thermometer after reading the "highest temp" thread. I also remember reading a thread stating probe thermometers on single wall pipes are less accurate. My pipe is predrilled.
Two questions: is it correct about a probe on a single wall and how do I tell if it's single or double other than calling the installer?
You should be able to feel another section of pipe after putting a piece of wire through the outside hole at an angle..or just look closely with a flash..Where the stove pipe connect to your stove collar , you'll be able to see one section of pipe hanging over you termination collar on your stove... A single wall pipe there will be no over hang or air space,, the pipe will be inserted into the stove collar with no outside pipe hanging over the collar... As far as the probe, it's simply right in the path of the flue gases inside the pipe... I would say there should be no difference from a single wall to a double wall using a probe style thermometer. Picture is of a double wall pipe onto a single wall appliance adapter. You can see the airspace of the outer section of pipe. Little dust on the pipe,eh?;)

104_7339.JPG

For comparison with Charly's double-wall, here are two photos of my single wall. First one shows it inserted in the collar on the back of the stove (ignore arrow) and the second after I've telescoped it upwards for sweeping.
edited P1020976 (1000x562).jpgP1020977 (562x1000).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.