stove pipe problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
Hey all,

I took apart my stove pipe to clean and I'm having a heck of time putting it back together. This doesn't surprise me as I did a sort of crappy job piecing it together last year during the install. The setup is rear exit through an oval to round adapter. The adapter connects to 16" of horizontal stove pipe. The stove pipe connects to a 90° elbow which terminates in an appliance adapter/chimney liner in the damper area of the fireplace.

The first problem is that I have to pull the stove out and disassemble the pipe to clean. Can I use a slip connecter here somehow?

Second problem is that the horizontal piece terminates with a crimped end (as it should) but the oval to round adapter doesn't seem designed to accept a crimped end. So the crimped end is sort of jammed into the adapter. I used a bunch of screws but this connection is leaky and it looks like hell. Could a slip connector or telescoping piece work here?

Below is the oval to round adapter I am working with. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

heat_fab_oval_to_round.jpg

i'd just go up thru the bypass with a flexible brush like the viper or sooteater, then run a long vacuum hose up the the same spot and suck out the soot.

i'd just go up thru the bypass with a flexible brush like the viper or sooteater, then run a long vacuum hose up the the same spot and suck out the soot.
That is an excellent idea. I forgot about these options. thanks

you could just replace the 90 with a tee and put a draw band in the horizontal run that should make it all easier

Status
Not open for further replies.