Stove pipe setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
Doing the setup on my new nc30 this weekend and have decided to do things differently. Will be running 28" of 6" vertical to a 6" T then 8" into my thimble. Knocked down my old block flue and installed a 20' by 6" double wall setup. My thought of using the T in place of the 90 off the stove is ease of cleaning and better draw. Anyway just wanted to hear any other thoughts or input.

Is this single-wall pipe? How far will it be from the nearest combustible, like drywall or woodwork?

My thought of using the T in place of the 90 off the stove is ease of cleaning and better draw
Wow - how do the pieces fit together? remember male end pointed down to allow any liquid creosote to drip back into the stove, also make sure your run pieces going into the thimble have a slight pitch towards the stove.
*good luck re-crimping the tee, I would just use much cheaper 90deg elbows or (2) 45's. made for that job. also you got to keep the pipe to 6" size no 8", the nc30 is a lite breather (espically when its warmer out, like upper 30's low 40') the smoke as it rolls through the rise of 28" hits the 90deg bend and rolls, causing disruption then goes through the run, the 8" may allow to much expansion causing a weaker draft before hitting the real chimney t (in other words you may be creating another smoke problem when you open the stove door, or poor burning conditions)

Last edited:
Wow - how do the pieces fit together? remember male end pointed down to allow any liquid creosote to drip back into the stove, also make sure your run pieces going into the thimble have a slight pitch towards the stove.
*good luck re-crimping the tee, I would just use much cheaper 90deg elbows or (2) 45's. made for that job. also you got to keep the pipe to 6" size no 8", the nc30 is a lite breather (espically when its warmer out, like upper 30's low 40') the smoke as it rolls through the rise of 28" hits the 90deg bend and rolls, causing disruption then goes through the run, the 8" may allow to much expansion causing a weaker draft before hitting the real chimney t (in other words you may be creating another smoke problem when you open the stove door, or poor burning conditions)
Everything is staying 6" pipe. I'll be using an 8" length of 6" pipe from thimble into the T horizontally then the vertical section into the stove. This is my first epa stove so i thought id experiment with this hearing how draft sensitive these stoves are instead of a 90 degree elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.