stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinAK

Apr 19, 2006
So what brands of double wall stove pipe do you all recommend? and is there a place on the net that you can order it from? My local dealer quoted me at $300 for a telescoping 5' section. Seamed really steep to me.

Sounds like you were quoted for double wall pipe. Or possibly enameled pipe?

I believe some municipalities may require doublewall, which requires much lower clearances to combustibles than single wall (6" as opposed to 18" generally). Double wall might be required for insurance purposes too? You can almost keep your hand on double wall when a fire is going, so it is safer in that respect. And I think it stays warmer (not directly exposed to cool air), so it would improve draft and possibly reduce creosote accumulation. However, 5' of single wall is pretty cheap... $20? I believe you can order it only... think there is an online retailer who even sells 22 gauge, which I'm imagining would last longer than the standard 24 gauge.

Matt, sorry to disagree about interior double wall, it gets way to hot to touch, the point about better draft with long runs is absolutly accturate. but not as hot as single wall. Yes, $300 bucks is steep. Simpson duravent retails for about half of that.

I paid $97. for my 3' telescopic double wall stove pipe ( stainless steel inside wall 3'- 6' ) I ordered mine from the local farm store .

KP Matt is right 22 ga welded seam single wall pipe, is far superior to the standard 24 gage snap seams pipe, The 22 gage also has non adjustable elbows that are at a fixed degree setting again welded seams and far superior. Ok what's the difference, 22 gage cost more but last longer. 22 gage is much harder to cut with tin snips. If using a grinder or wizz wheel cutter, the cutting differculty is about the same.

KP Matt is also right about the double wall pipe reducing clearances to combustiables. He was a bit confused about code it is an allowed use ( single wall pipe) providing 18" in all directions to combustiables. There are two factors that determine clearance to combustiables, one the stove's manufactures requirements W/O a heat shield and the vent pipe requirements

I should admit that my experience with double wall stovepipe is limited to a) the sticker shock I experienced when I got a quote on it, and b) the few times I visited my sister when she had her stove running. I seem to recall being able to keep my hand on it for a few seconds, but I could easily be confused about the exact circumstances. Is it easy to install DIY?

In my case one of the reasons it was going to be so expensive was because I was trying to recreate a convoluted installation which had three angles (one 90 degree, two adjustable) and two or three small straight lengths. Eventually I realized I could use the outlet on the side of the stove, plus a clean-out tee, then a straight shot up. But I had already settled on single wall. When I get the Jotul 602 however, with its flue outlet on the top of the stove, I might go with telescopic double wall, mostly to make it easier to detach when sweeping the chimney, etc.

The bit about double wall being required in some installations I read here: https://www.hearth.com/questions/qa2005.html

Status
Not open for further replies.