Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot-werx

Nov 10, 2008
Southern, Maine
Hi,

Just picked up my new PE Summit and have a question about stove pipe. The store I got the stove from did not have all the piping at the time so I am wondering how well the black pipe that Lowes carries works? The pipe they have on the floor looks like it has a seam in the middle that is used to keep the pipe together? What are your thoughts on using this type of pipe?

Thanks,
Chris

Single wall will work if the run is not greater than 8 feet and clearances to combustibles are 18" or greater. Heavier, welded-seam single wall is preferred, but seam lock will work as long as it is heavy gauge. My preference would be to replace to do it once, correctly. Pipe can be ordered online or perhaps there is another supplier or stove shop in the area?

It would help to know what is the entire flue system. If the stove is being connected to a cold exterior chimney, double-wall pipe may be better. If it is connecting to an interior, ceiling support box, then it will need a single wall pipe adapter.

I don't know what they sell in the Lowe's up there, but all they have is the cheap snap-lock stuff down here. If you are going to use single wall pipe, and want something nice, you might look into the 22 gauge Heat-Fab pipe. I ordered the 38" to 70" adjustable piece, and it is pretty nice. It should also last quite a while.

They may have gone up on their price, but the cheapest I found was from here:

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/blk622pipe.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.