Stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

negative1

Oct 21, 2009
MI
When the installers finished putting my Magnolia in they told me that I should replace my single wall pipe once a year. They both said that they change their pipe out every spring. I don't ever remember this being done on any of the stoves from my childhood.

Does this sound right to you?

The single wall flue on my stove has been in use since 1984...... no holes yet other than where I drilled for the temp probe

Maybe the creosote has protected it :cheese:

negative1 said:
When the installers finished putting my Magnolia in they told me that I should replace my single wall pipe once a year. They both said that they change their pipe out every spring. I don't ever remember this being done on any of the stoves from my childhood.

My black stovepipe has been in service since 1987 when I installed the stove.. It gets cleaned once a year when I clean the chimney and shows no sign of weakness....

Ray

In my childhood stoves the only pipe that was replaced on probably a 3 year basis was the pipe going through the crock / thimble to the chimney itself. This rotted only because the chimney ended below ground w/ no clean out and had no cap.

Otherwise, I'd say a good inspection / squeeze / common sense when the stove is cool (obviously) is how I'd determine if it is time to replace or not.

pen

DonNH said:
Pagey said:
If you can throw a cat through it, replace it. :lol:

So if the cat only goes partway through and sticks, then you should just light it up, right?

Well, "cats" will clearly give you longer burn times, so I say go for it!

negative1 said:
When the installers finished putting my Magnolia in they told me that I should replace my single wall pipe once a year. They both said that they change their pipe out every spring.

Your installers are trying to sell you something you don't need. Maybe they change out their pipes with perfectly good one year old pipes they take away from all the folks they scam.

negative1 said:

Sounds like total BS to me. Rick

If you can, post some pictures here of the installation. These guys sound like scam artists, but hopefully they did a safe installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.