Stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlincourt

Dec 31, 2009
Western MA
I will be installing a woodstove in my garage this weekend and wanted to ask if there are any advantages or disadvantages to running pipe straight up through roof or through the wall and then up. I don't have any restrictions on the garage so I could do either option- just not sure if one way is better for some reason other than straight would probably cheaper and simpler. Thanks

You should run stove pipe up to the ceiling and then transition to class A insulated for the rest of the way. You should not run ordinary stove pipe through the ceiling and roof. Straight up through the roof is better than elbows and Tees going through a wall.

Check your codes and/or insurance...is installing in your garage acceptable?

If it turns out your insurance company will allow you to put a solid fuel burning appliance in a garage, straight up is always the best option in my opinion. Stove runs better, pipe stays cleaner, easier to clean.

DWBMHD said:
I will be installing a woodstove in my garage this weekend and wanted to ask if there are any advantages or disadvantages to running pipe straight up through roof or through the wall and then up. I don't have any restrictions on the garage so I could do either option- just not sure if one way is better for some reason other than straight would probably cheaper and simpler. Thanks

Assuming the Authority Having Jurisdiction (Fire Inspector) and insurance company will allow a garage install (a lot of places will not) . . . cheaper, better draft and more heat for the area would be with the straight up install.

It's actually considered a work shop because I don't store a car or other low lying fumes in there. And it's detached.

DWBMHD said:
It's actually considered a work shop because I don't store a car or other low lying fumes in there. And it's detached.

Good deal . . . and good luck with the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.