Stove placement in cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MNman2

Nov 30, 2018
MN
New stove (undecided ) install in a 800 sf cabin, open room and 2 small bedrooms. Stove will be in main 20 x 20 great room.
vaulted ceiling, 12"6 center height, new metal roof.
My question has mostly to do with wind/draft, and outside chimney height. It's a windy area (the local tavern is called "West Wind" ) and the cabin sits perpendicular to the prevailing wind. The spot I'd most like to put the stove is on the wall facing the wind, if that makes sense...there the ceiling is only 8 ft high, so 4 - 5 feet inside pipe, and a much longer section on the roof...not sure how high, but I know theres a 10 ft rule from the peak height or something...So basically, apart from cost, is it bad to have a significantly higher pipe outside? And what about draft, if the wind is coming in from that side? How about stability in the wind of a high section of pipe?
My other, less favored option, place the stove in nearly the center of the room, where the kitchen area begins; so higher ceiling...maybe 8 ft+ interior pipe, and I assume very? short outside pipe, since it would be just off the ridge cap. Better draft this way? Shorter pipe outside easier to stabilize?
In either case, is straight up, no elbows, etc...the best for draft, or?
Any questions or suggestions appreciated:)

Not a fan of the side wall location if you get snow.

Agreed. I would go for the central location with double-wall stovepipe going straight up and through the roof.