Stove placement options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SafeTree

Mar 9, 2022
Sw Washington
Hello All!

I have learned so much from this place prior to joining, and I really appreciate it. I thought I would've figured out all I needed to know, but crunch time is upon me and I could use a bit of help with this last question, that may seem like common sense, but I've already learned some things here that have contradicted what I formerly thought to be common sense.
I have 2 corner options in my living room for placement of the coming Lopi Evergreen. Not as concerned with moving heat throughout the long 1900sq ft 1 level ranch, as I am with just simple basics on natural flow out of the stove room. I really want to believe that it doesn't matter much, so I can put it in my number 2 location if I please, though number 1 seems like it would let heat naturally flow out to the rest of the house better/faster, through the 4ft doorway leading to my kitchen/dining area(especially with a blower). There is a 16" header over the big doorway. My concern is overheating the room more one way than the other. I know it'll get hot either way, as it's just under 400sq ft...but will the orientation of the stove toward the 4ft doorway matter that much? Apologies for the 3rd grade drawing of the layout...I felt it would be easy to get the idea.
Thanks in advance for any input!

View attachment 20220309_200034.jpg.PDF

1 is probably slightly better, since the radiant heat will be going to the dining room rather than the spare room. I don't think it will matter much either way for the convection part of the heating, though - just put a small fan in the doorway to the spare room pointed at the base of the stove.

If it helps, my stove is in a 300 sq ft room (total space is 1500), and with a small fan in one doorway, it doesn't overheat (the room with the stove does stay about 10 degrees warmer than the coldest part of the house, though).

Reactions: SafeTree
I don't think it'll matter much. Indeed a fan moving air slowly over the ground to the stove is what you need, and then it'll be as good as it gets.

Therefore, put it where you enjoy it most. That'll give you most satisfaction.

Reactions: SafeTree
Thanks a bunch folks!
I felt like number 1 was the obvious overall best spot for the stove in the living room...but I also have to do some 'living' in that room. With available wall space and windows, I have more furniture/TV arrangement options with #2.
You all are awesome!