stove polish question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJW88

Oct 9, 2010
northern, WI
I have an 1895 P.D. Beckwith No. 16 stove that is need of a polishing. I have a bottle of Galaxy Black Beauty stove polish that my dad bought probably 20-30 years ago. Does anybody know if this is a good polish? It says on the back to use their primer but I don't have any of that, is it really necessary to use the primer if I clean the stove really well? If this isn't a good polish is there any other kind you could recommend?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum cjw88. That sounds like a nice stove. Could you post a picture?

Being that old it may not be good but the only way to really know is to try a small spot and see what it does. Make sure the surface is clean and dry.

save that antique, and get some nice satin black stove bright.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum cjw88. That sounds like a nice stove. Could you post a picture?

Being that old it may not be good but the only way to really know is to try a small spot and see what it does. Make sure the surface is clean and dry.

I'll post a picture when I get it put back together. I have it in a few pieces right now getting it cleaned up and ready for a finish.

It is a nice stove. My dad bought it about 30 years ago. It's been in the family longer than I have.

Backwoods Savage said:

You can tell it's getting cold cuz I'm back :) Dennis good to see you're still here!

Ray

Where have you been Ray? Hey, we had the cold but are basking still in Indian summer here. Cooler air headed our way but nothing cold yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
Where have you been Ray? Hey, we had the cold but are basking still in Indian summer here. Cooler air headed our way but nothing cold yet.

Hey Dennis I've been everywhere how about you? I usually don't frequent the forum in warm weather as I have other things brewing.. Just repainted my stove today and it looks great.. I'll post some pics when I get around to it..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.