Stove probe temp normal?

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
Installed a new stove it is a Drolet HT3000 with 24ft total in length (14ft double wall stove pjpe ) and 10 chimney pipe. I ramp up my stove till stove probe reads 600. I then cut the air all the way closed and my stove probe is reading 900ish for about a hour and then seems to settle from there. Is this normal?

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It sounds like you might want to start turning down the air sooner. Maybe try closing the air 50% when the flue probe reaches 400º.
I am assuming that this probe is in the stovepipe, right? Is there another thermometer on the stovetop?

Reactions: Gearhead660

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
It sounds like you might want to start turning down the air sooner. Maybe try closing the air 50% when the flue probe reaches 400º.
I am assuming that this probe is in the stovepipe, right? Is there another thermometer on the stovetop?
I will give that a try i do have a stove top thermometer as well. It takes a long time to get up to temp. And yes the probe is mounted and installed through the double wall pipe approx. 20" above the stove. I have no bends or offsets in the piping at all.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Yeah, try shutting down sooner. It will take some trial and error with a new stove but you also have a tall straight up chimney and a pipe dampner may be useful if those temps dont come down.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I close down the air fairly aggressively as long as it doesn't kill the fire or smolder. This thread is with a different stove and wood, but you might find these readings helpful.

Last edited:

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
I close down the air fairly aggressively as long as it doesn't kill the fire or smolder. This thread is with a different stove and wood, but you might find these readings helpful.
I read that already