Stove probe temp normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
Installed a new stove it is a Drolet HT3000 with 24ft total in length (14ft double wall stove pjpe ) and 10 chimney pipe. I ramp up my stove till stove probe reads 600. I then cut the air all the way closed and my stove probe is reading 900ish for about a hour and then seems to settle from there. Is this normal?

It sounds like you might want to start turning down the air sooner. Maybe try closing the air 50% when the flue probe reaches 400º.
I am assuming that this probe is in the stovepipe, right? Is there another thermometer on the stovetop?

Reactions: Gearhead660
It sounds like you might want to start turning down the air sooner. Maybe try closing the air 50% when the flue probe reaches 400º.
I am assuming that this probe is in the stovepipe, right? Is there another thermometer on the stovetop?
I will give that a try i do have a stove top thermometer as well. It takes a long time to get up to temp. And yes the probe is mounted and installed through the double wall pipe approx. 20" above the stove. I have no bends or offsets in the piping at all.

Yeah, try shutting down sooner. It will take some trial and error with a new stove but you also have a tall straight up chimney and a pipe dampner may be useful if those temps dont come down.

I close down the air fairly aggressively as long as it doesn't kill the fire or smolder. This thread is with a different stove and wood, but you might find these readings helpful.

Last edited:
I close down the air fairly aggressively as long as it doesn't kill the fire or smolder. This thread is with a different stove and wood, but you might find these readings helpful.
I read that already

So i am still playing trial and error with closing the air earlier. I am still seeing temps around 800 with 3/4 load and the air fully closed. The flames our fairly lazy but still burning pretty well. Not sure if I should buy a manometer or just buy a damper and I stall that. Suggestions?

Try closing down the air even sooner. Often that can help. Slowing down the secondary burn earlier can help prevent a large bloom of wood gas from taking off.

How thick are the splits that are being burned? Can you take a shot of a load before lighting and post it?

Reactions: ejsechler
I have a straight up 22' chimney, different stove than you but today when reloading I didnt pay attention and ended up shutting down the air too late when the internal flue temps were at 650. She outgassed pretty rapidly and had flue temps at 900+. The next load I shut her down at 400 and she cruised at 600 for an hour before slowly going down. Sometimes if the weather is colder and have a good wind I have to shut down as soon as the load lights off to keep those temps down.

Reactions: ejsechler
Try closing down the air even sooner. Often that can help. Slowing down the secondary burn earlier can help prevent a large bloom of wood gas from taking off.

How thick are the splits that are being burned? Can you take a shot of a load before lighting and post it?
The splits range from 3" to 6"+. I am still messing around and experimenting. Next fresh load I put in i will take a picture. I think i am slowly getting the hang of it. I have been messing around loading east to west rather then north to south. Seems to burn slower and also cutting the air half way once I am to about 375 degrees. Then once it reaches 500 I turn it down pretty much all the way. What I am worried about right now i am burning in 40 degree weather what happens once it gets down to 10

How warm is it keeping you at 40? Does your stove have a blower? You could get a stovetop fan or two to sit on top if you have a free standing stove. Cutting the air down sooner will give a slower longer burn.