Stove Reccomendation northern Illinois

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oldschool

Jan 27, 2019
northern illinois
Hello everybody, first time poster here. I have been doing a lot of research on the forum regarding pellet stoves. Little background I live in northern Illinois, have a 2,100 sq. ft. ranch house with a full unfinished basement. The house is kind of a t-shape with bedroom on one end and kitchen on the other. We moved here a couple of years ago and currently use geothermal heating and cooling. The geo unit does okay considering we live out in the country with really no wind block around us. I have been looking into pellet stove to supplement the geo on the nights and weekends that we are home. So with that said I was wondering what stoves do you members recommend? I do like the looks of the Harman but I notice that they are on the high end of the price spectrum. I am not afraid to spend the money to get a better product. The other downfall is that the two dealers that I found in my area are like 1.5 hours away. Thank you in advance.

Welcome Oldschool! Where do you plan on putting the stove? What kind of heat you looking to get from a stove? 15k 30k 70k btu’s. Is the home well insulated? Harmans are awesome stoves, Quadrafire make great stoves also. My next stove will be the enviro Maxx. You have many to choose from they all need diligent cleaning and maintenance and they will serve you well

Reactions: johneh
Pick the dealer with the best service record and buy from him
Just remember a pellet stove is not plug and play it needs regular servicing
and also it is a space heater not designed to heat a whole house that being said
some people on the forum do very well at heating there whole homes

I would recommend Quads or Harmon. I've been running a couple of Quad Castiles since 2008 and have yet to replace any parts. I run the Main floor unit about 12 hrs. a day and the basement when needed. Remember, 1 large stove will be able to keep an area very warm but is not going to circulate warm air very far. You may be better off with 2 smaller stoves iv different places.