Stove Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CleanDiesel

Feb 14, 2020
NW PA
I'm looking for suggestions on a new wood stove for our small home (~650 sq. ft.). I have a 15' Ventis Class A chimney, through the wall outlet, 3 ft rise above stove -- not amazing draft, but rarely have issues unless temps are really mild. We have a heat pump for mild weather, and use the wood stove mainly when 40F and under.

Current stove was from Tractor Supply -- my first "EPA" stove with non-cat secondary combustion. It was $500 and intended to be a learning experience with the new style stove. The stove has a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox, but it's oddly shaped limiting it's loading capacity. My main issues are: 1) limited burn time - we can only get 4 hours without reloading the stove, when running as low as possible. I'd really like to be able to get 7-8 hours so I can sleep through the night. 2) lowest-possible turn down - the current stove seems to be challenging to control heat output. It was rated to adjust between 12K and 40K BTU, which would be a perfect fit for our heating loads -- but I don't think I can really run it that low, and keep burning cleaning, secondary combustion, etc.

My local dealer sells Osburn, Jotul, and BlazeKing. I would consider the cat BlazeKing, but I've read the horror stories about buildup on double-wall pipe in through-the-wall and lower-draft applications. I also need something that's simple to operate because my elderly mother lives with me, and helps to service the stove. She's burned wood for years, but used old-fashioned woodstoves.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Osburn 2000 might work for you.comes with a blower as well

I am able to get 7-8 hour burns from our 2.4 cuft firebox burning almond. It is a dense hardwood. What kinds of wood will you be burning?

I’d say a BlazeKing Princess if you want 12-24 hr burn times....
But, you might have to leave a window open all winter....lol

The Jotul F45 is easy to operate and look at. It will give you overnight burns and N/S loading.

Osburn 2000 might work for you.comes with a blower as well

I like this stove, similar to what I have but with a better-designed, slightly larger firebox. I would like the option of N/S loading and I can't currently. I'm just worried that the burn time and turn-down are pushing it after reading their manual. I never use a blower -- ceiling fans and a heat-powered fan on the stove.

I am able to get 7-8 hour burns from our 2.4 cuft firebox burning almond. It is a dense hardwood. What kinds of wood will you be burning?

I burn ash mainly -- it's always available on my 20 acres thanks to the Ash Borer. I currently have three cords ready. I would love to try almond but not available here.

I’d say a BlazeKing Princess if you want 12-24 hr burn times....
But, you might have to leave a window open all winter....lol

I was intrigued by BK (and CAT stoves), but nervous after reading about hefty draft requirements and creosote build-up in through-the-wall applications. I'm more concerned about keeping the stove pipe and chimney clean and burning less wood, but not to the extent it poses a fire risk.

I'm looking for suggestions on a new wood stove for our small home (~650 sq. ft.). I have a 15' Ventis Class A chimney, through the wall outlet, 3 ft rise above stove -- not amazing draft, but rarely have issues unless temps are really mild. We have a heat pump for mild weather, and use the wood stove mainly when 40F and under.

Current stove was from Tractor Supply -- my first "EPA" stove with non-cat secondary combustion. It was $500 and intended to be a learning experience with the new style stove. The stove has a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox, but it's oddly shaped limiting it's loading capacity. My main issues are: 1) limited burn time - we can only get 4 hours without reloading the stove, when running as low as possible. I'd really like to be able to get 7-8 hours so I can sleep through the night. 2) lowest-possible turn down - the current stove seems to be challenging to control heat output. It was rated to adjust between 12K and 40K BTU, which would be a perfect fit for our heating loads -- but I don't think I can really run it that low, and keep burning cleaning, secondary combustion, etc.

My local dealer sells Osburn, Jotul, and BlazeKing. I would consider the cat BlazeKing, but I've read the horror stories about buildup on double-wall pipe in through-the-wall and lower-draft applications. I also need something that's simple to operate because my elderly mother lives with me, and helps to service the stove. She's burned wood for years, but used old-fashioned woodstoves.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Depending on how North and West you are, may want to check out dealer's in the Erie area. The dealer we just ordered from sells Vermont Casting, Blazeking, Hearthstone, and a few cheaper manufactures. We picked up our EPA 2020 Hearthstone Manchester with Enamel Coating for 3,600$ they were cheaper then the other two dealers I spoke with. If you would like a name send me a PM.

Depending on how North and West you are, may want to check out dealer's in the Erie area. The dealer we just ordered from sells Vermont Casting, Blazeking, Hearthstone, and a few cheaper manufactures. We picked up our EPA 2020 Hearthstone Manchester with Enamel Coating for 3,600$ they were cheaper then the other two dealers I spoke with. If you would like a name send me a PM.

For sure, we're in Crawford County. Please PM me the dealer name and I'll check them out on our next Erie trip -- Thanks!