Stove Recommendations for 450 sq ft Shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sprucely

Dec 5, 2023
Grants Pass
I just bought a new Grand Teton Targhee woodstove rated for up to 2000 sq ft and am having second thoughts about installing it in my 450 sq ft shop. The shop has a single bay roll-up door and 3 windows. I suppose I mistakenly prioritized having a glass door on the stove and also thought the extra heat would come in handy because my work entails the frequent use of hide glue (hot ambient temps slow glue gelling).

I have read some of the threads on large vs small stove size but am looking for opinions on the current stove size and/or recommendations for a smaller stove. Also, the fresh air intake may be challenging since there is a 4' high block wall behind the stove position. Is it OK to put a 90 deg on the intake pipe and have it rise 4' before exiting?

If your shop is at outside temperature when you walk in, you’re going to want a larger stove. If you’re just looking to kick the temperature up a few degrees, I’d go with a smaller stove.

Also, the fresh air intake may be challenging since there is a 4' high block wall behind the stove position. Is it OK to put a 90 deg on the intake pipe and have it rise 4' before exiting?
The outside air needs to stay below the firebox floor.

Reactions: GrumpyDad
Thanks for that criteria, Limestone. Currently, the shop feels about the same as outside when I walk in, but I am pretty certain that even use of a smaller woodstove would keep the temps up decently. But, the Grand Teton stove is here and I will most likely give it a go ....when I figure out how to drill a hole through the cinder block for the air intake.

By the way, I just moved into this older house which has a Pacific Energy Super Series stove insert...I may have some questions on that, too.

One of the big differences between wood stoves and other sources of heat is they don’t turn off once the ideal temperature has been reached. They’ll keep running until the fuel load is spent.

The Super is a good stove.

Instead of figuring a way to drill through the cinder block, would it work to install a 3" opening with a grate/register in the garage door to provide the outside air? Are there any commercially ready products for this application?

This has an adjustable air flow, maybe a solution to your needs if placed nearby your stove.

Yes, should I go that route, that looks perfect. Thanks. Do you know how it would compare to actually hooking up an OAK to the stove port? If it is just as effective I can stop wrestling with how to put a hole in the cinder block.

This has an adjustable air flow, maybe a solution to your needs if placed nearby your stove.

Hmmm seems like cracking open a window would do the same thing.

Check with your insurance agent. Many insurers won't approve a stove in a garage/shop with vehicles in it, and I've also heard of ones that won't allow it in wood shops.

In your location I'd put in a mini split. It does not get cold enough there to run into their cold weather performance issues (which have greatly improved in the last couple decades), electricity is cheap and reliable, and it gets hot enough in the summer to want AC. The mini is efficient enough that you can just leave it on.

The wood stove and its required clearances take up a considerable amount of floor space while the mini split air handler is mounted to the wall.

My stove/wood burner is a USSC 1269E, log model. Ive had it 3 years, it was cheap, heats my whole house, and its rustic looking. I live in a house built 1886, so modern looking isnt for me. I know its a cheap stove, but for the heat you get, I personally love mine. My house is maybe 1500 to 2000 square feet. Its rated for 900.

Check with your insurance agent. Many insurers won't approve a stove in a garage/shop with vehicles in it, and I've also heard of ones that won't allow it in wood shops.

In your location I'd put in a mini split. It does not get cold enough there to run into their cold weather performance issues (which have greatly improved in the last couple decades), electricity is cheap and reliable, and it gets hot enough in the summer to want AC. The mini is efficient enough that you can just leave it on.

The wood stove and its required clearances take up a considerable amount of floor space while the mini split air handler is mounted to the wall.
It can get down in the teens but winter nights are typically in the