stove room HOT!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdog

Oct 15, 2013
Mineral wells wv
Hey guys and gals im having trouble getting heat out of my stove room it gets really hot in there i mean like almost 85-90 and i can get some out into the living room but alot still stays in there. I was wondering if i put a ceiling fan in that room if it would help get the heat out. My house is a pretty much open floor plan off the big living room there is a den with two big french doors leading into the living room and the stove is pointed directly at the doors. How would be the best way to get it out of the stove room? Thx for any help

blow it into the stoveroom? i thought about doing that it probably dont have to blow real hard does it

Yup, in. If you blow air in, air has to come out too. It is easier to move the cold air down by the floor, so yeah, cold air in = hot air out.

sounds good ill give it a try see what i can get out of there. Thx Do you think the ceiling fan in therre would help out?

I run a ceiling fan and it helps tremendously, results may vary per setup

Remember with a ceiling fan you are moving air over a surface to either heat or cool the air. You don't lose any heat you change the feel of the air. To heat a room run the fan in reverse to move the air along the ceiling and down the walls to warm the air at floor level. Run the fan forward so the air runs along the cooler floor to cool the room. The ceiling can, but doesn't necessarily move warmth from room to room. The more open your floor plan the better.

Last night it got down in the twentys and what i did was in the living room on the opposite side of the stove room was crack a window and in the stove room put a fan kinda blowing at the ceiling at the door with in about 45 min the room jumped up in temp and it got up to 77 and the rest of the house was 73-75 and you couldnt feel the cold air coming in and the hot air wasnt going out it worked out pretty well i think any one else use that way to get heat out in the house?

My wife was raised in Hawaii so we always have windows open. I will open a window at the far end of the house to pull heat to that end of the house rather then wasting the heat by letting it out of the window in the stove room.

Last edited:
yea that worked really well for me opening the window in the living room didnt really think the heat would pull that way all that well but it did and the house held the heat in it didnt go out the window

Jdog,

Thanks for posting this. I am in the exact same situation. We just had a 13NC installed two weeks ago. The living room heats to 85-90 degrees, while the other rooms are about 70 (we do NOT have an open floor plan!) I'm trying to figure out how to even things out.

The only difference is my wife is LOVING the warm room, so I may be trying to fix a problem that no one else thinks we have....:confused:

It helped way more than what i thought it would thats for sure it made it where the house heated up and the stove room was ok im still trying things out but so far this is the ticket

so far this is the ticket

As long as it keeps your wife, Morrrrrrrrrrrrgan Fairchild, happy. That's all that matters!

Reactions: Stegman
I just installed a ceiling fan close to the stove last night. It blows the hot air that collects near the ceiling down to the floor and then out to adjoining rooms along the floor. It seems to work best set on the lowest speed.

Last night it got down in the twentys and what i did was in the living room on the opposite side of the stove room was crack a window and in the stove room put a fan kinda blowing at the ceiling at the door with in about 45 min the room jumped up in temp and it got up to 77 and the rest of the house was 73-75 and you couldnt feel the cold air coming in and the hot air wasnt going out it worked out pretty well i think any one else use that way to get heat out in the house?

It always seems a shame to me to be putting heat into the house but then also adding cold air from the outside through an open window or door. Just seems a waste and one working against the other. The small fan on the floor blowing at low speed into the stove room seems to work the best. A ceiling fan can help some but that small fan on the floor will move more heat to the further rooms to even out the temperature more.

I don't blame your wife for loving the heat. Although I don't love the summer heat but that is mostly because of the humidity. In winter we keep our house in the 80 degree or above temperature except for the days that my wife does laundry. Those days the humidity is super high because she dries the laundry by the wood stove. But even in those days we keep it in the high 70's. I just checked the temperature and it is 84 in here. Feels great too.

Reactions: lopiliberty
I don't love the summer heat but that is mostly because of the humidity.

I agree. Summer heat is absolutely miserable. But the heat from a winter's fire is wonderfully cozy.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.