Stove room vs Living room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i came home from work today (short 4 hour day) and found the house was almost 80 degrees (when i left it was 75). i asked my wife why she didn't turn it down and her response was "i didn't notice!" i do have to say i think she is going to like this new set up since she is always cold, but at 80 degrees i am ready to go sleep in the garage!

Thank you Tim.

I have mine installed in a basement as well. Admittedly, it's always warm in the basement and cool upstairs - pretty much as most basement installers will tell you. :(

In hindsight I would have installed it in the main living area upstairs but I honestly thought a stove of this size (Eco-65) would heat both levels with no issue at all. Plus I wanted a dry basement. Oh well, live and learn!

Add me to the list. I was hoping my Herman xxv would heat my whole house from the basement. No dice. But I wanted a warm basement anyway as that is where we spend most of our time.

I have since added a 2nd xxv upstairs and with a few fans it does the trick.

I briefly thought about putting the stove on a wheeled platform and building a window box that I could vent the stove through to temporarily try the stove in different locations throughout the house. I got lazy and bought two stoves. Glad I did. Now I I use the basement stove truly as a space heater and the main stove cranks along 24/7 keeping my house 70 degrees. It hasn't been super cold yet but I only have about a 2/3 degree temp difference from 1st and 2nd floor.

Add me to the list. I was hoping my Herman xxv would heat my whole house from the basement. No dice. But I wanted a warm basement anyway as that is where we spend most of our time.

I briefly thought about putting the stove on a wheeled platform and building a window box that I could vent the stove through to temporarily try the stove in different locations throughout the house. I got lazy and bought two stoves. Glad I did.
it is amazing how many people have not had their first install choice work out. the really funny thing is i was about to build a portable box too...i had the entire plan laid out in my head! when i got the first few replies to this post i really felt like i was a dumbass but as more people come from the failure shadows it really drives home that this forum is for learning and everyone needs help sometimes!

If you are worried about the stove and the young children, you can get gates to put around them (the stoves not the kids;lol) My oldest girl grew up with a woodstove in the living room - guess what her first word was? Hot ;)
The Bixby I have pictured is kid safe every where except the door and they sold a screen that fits over the door making the whole stove kid proof. Probably a little ahead of their time. I have two of those screens.

Reactions: Lake Girl
The Bixby I have pictured is kid safe every where except the door and they sold a screen that fits over the door making the whole stove kid proof. Probably a little ahead of their time. I have two of those screens.
that is an awesome feature that I wish I knew about before I bought my stove and it's a beautiful stove to boot!

I briefly thought about putting the stove on a wheeled platform and building a window box that I could vent the stove through to temporarily try the stove in different locations throughout the house. I got lazy and bought two stoves. Glad I did. Now I I use the basement stove truly as a space heater and the main stove cranks along 24/7 keeping my house 70 degrees. It hasn't been super cold yet but I only have about a 2/3 degree temp difference from 1st and 2nd floor.

You do the opposite of me. The Harman in the basement is on 24/7 as at least some of the warm air makes it upstairs. I shut down the St. Croix before I leave for work then start it up when I get home 12-13 hours later (the house is still 68-70 degrees so far). Since the SC is cold when I get home, I can check the ash box and empty out any clinkers before starting it up. When the weather turns cold, then I will probably leave the St. Croix on all day at 1. If I could ever figure out my thermostat problems, then I could let the SC self-regulate, but until that time, this is my method.

Status
Not open for further replies.