Stove selection advice for Tiny Cabin with Big Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Willywilly2020

Aug 20, 2020
Oregon
Helllo! What a wonderful forum, I’ve already learned so much from everyone here - thank you!

I am about75% of the way through building a small cabin in the Washington mountains. It’s a 250sq ft shed roof cabin. Low wall 8ft, high wall 12ft. It’s got a partial open loft and no interior walls. It’s uninsulated in the floor and very well insulated in the walls and ceiling. It gets down to the high 20s in the winter. AND I have a ton of windows. Easily 1/3 windows.

I have been looking into a good wood stove, and am wondering if I should just get a big stove and keep a window open, or if I should get a smaller stove (like the Jotul 100). I’m also on a budget so am looking for whatever bargains/economic options I can. Would love advice on a stove for the cabin!

That's a pretty small space. Take a look at the Woodstock Survival stove.

You will need dry wood to heat well. Do you have at least a few cords already split and stacked?

That's a pretty small space. Take a look at the Woodstock Survival stove.

You will need dry wood to heat well. Do you have at least a few cords already split and stacked?
Thanks! I do, cured from last summer and I split it this spring!

That's a tough one. Your small area and high insulation work against you. The warm temps compound things. The high window area will probably help! I think you're going to have open windows regardless!

I'd go small. I think I'd look at sub 1 cubic foot small. I'd look at any way to increase the thermal mass of the structure and stove. Stone, cast iron, etc. Once the cabin is warm, it won't take much heat to keep it there. A small 15k btu sunflower heater on a 20lb propane tank or a Little Buddy will get you up to a reasonable temp fairly quickly. Then you have to hold the temp without cooking yourself out of the place.