Stove Size Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

momatt

Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Hello, I am new here this is my first post. live in Missouri and my home has a large factory built fireplace. There is no way to control the burn, it roars like a forge and you can burn a 5 foot tall stack of wood on a cold Saturday if you try and keep it burning. My wife and I are thinking of either sticking an insert inside it (if that is possible, an estimator from a hearth store is coming out to look at it perhaps the VC montpellier) pulling it out and replacing it with a high efficiency fireplace (quadrafire), or modifying the fireplace and putting a stove in. We really like the looks of old style cast iron stoves like the VC Encore or defiant. Our home is not large, approximately 1900 square feet. It has an open floor plan and the room the stove will be in is approximately 900 square feet with a vaulted ceiling that is 12 foot tall at the peak. Our house is approximately 15 years old and is not particularly tight or well insulated. I'd like to be able to run the stove without having to open windows.

How many BTU stove output would be appropriate for our situation? Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

I have a 40 acre hobby farm and a sawmill that keeps me stocked with plenty of wood, mostly red oak, walnut and eastern red cedar. We burn about a chord a year for ambiance now, our fireplace provides very little heat unless you are sitting on the hearth.

By factory built do you mean zero clearance? If so post the model. Many zero clearance fireplaces are not approved to have an insert installed though some are. Also what is the chimney made from, masonry or framed in pipe?

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

The first money spent on a cold house should be to seal the drafts. The next money should be for insulation.

For 1900 sq. ft. in Missouri - pretty much anywhere in Missouri - you will want a 2.5 cu. ft. firebox, minimum.

If you have a zero clearance fireplace you don't like there is much to be said for tearing it out and starting over. Almost everything you will want to do will involve working with or through the problems of the fireplace. If it is a masonry fireplace that is different, of course.

My vote would be for a stove that is 2 to 2.5 CF box.

I find BTU numbers EXTREMELY unreliable.

I have a 1.8 CF box and it keeps my 1968 square foot home plenty warm. I can over heat my house if I try.

But my house is better insulated then yours sounds.

And I'm in North Idaho, just 45 minutes south of Canada so it gets cold here! Real cold sometimes!

Thanks for the replies. The fireplace store guy was here and it looks like an insert is out. Probably going to demo the existing fireplace and start over with a new high efficiency fireplace. I'd rather have a stove but my wife wont give up her mantle, so probably a quadrafire pioneer. Looks like they have a nice sized firebox and will put out some heat.

Reactions: bholler