Stove suggestion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chawles

Feb 5, 2023
Long Island ny
Good morning,
I’m new to this forum and for the most part wood burning. My wife and I decided now is a good time to purchase a wood stove for the main part of the house. We live in a 2500sq colonial on Long Island NY.
We currently use a traditional fire place in our step down den. After consideration of installing an insert in the den we would not benefit from its radiant heat. It’s a small room on back corner of house with a small doorway.

With that said. We have an open floor plan on the opposite side of the house approx 1100sq’. We will be putting a stove here. There is the master bed and bath above the stove as well as an open stair way to the second floor. We like the upstairs on the colder side 65 in winter. We’re not looking to raise the temperature tremendously up there. I know being directly above the stove the master will see an impact of our new addition. I’m told by professional installers a medium stove is our target. My house was built in 1976, has new windows and R-13 insulation. We are a young family on the go. I would say the stove would be our main heat source for the most part. It better be with the investment we are putting into this.

What’s important to me is:
1-Won’t hot box the main seating area 600 sq
1/a - Will fit in corner install with 48”x54” hearth
2-quality product/warranty
3-Stove looks (focal point of room)
4-Ease of use for my family
5- rebate qualification

I’m constructing walls with 1” heat shield to minimize clearances to push the stove into the corner as much as possible .

My extended family both have Woodstock stoves. I love the product but the only soapstone stove that appeals to me is the PH model by Woodstock. It says 2300sq heating capability and I think that’s too much stove for me. I also don’t think I have the real estate for a side load stove. Also looked into the heritage stove, which wifey didn’t care for the looks.

I really like the Lopi Rockport and if the price is right I am going to pull the trigger. My second choice VC Encore in Red or Twilight but it’s scary how much hate VC gets in this forum.
Those are the products wifey has signed off on. I looking into the jutol, green mountain line and some blaze products but none of them caught my eye like the two I mentioned above.

What is the groups thoughts.
Attached is the layout of my house.

3E7F606D-5E3A-4328-9EB1-824890E7F810.jpeg

Before constructing anything, make sure that the stove permits a clearance reduction and list that in the manual. If it is not in print, it is not permitted. The Rockport does permit this. With an NFPA 211 wall shield the rear clearance can be reduced to 12". To reduce the corner clearance below 9" it would be best to get written permission from Travis (Lopi) with the specific minimum allowed corner clearance with NFPA wall shields.

It looks like you will be ok with about a 2 cu ft stove. For stoves that qualify for the tax credit (now capped at $2000), in non-cat look at the Lopi Evergreen. In catalytic, the Rockport is a good choice. A BlazeKing Ashford 30.2 or 20.2 would also work well.

I think that’s a great spot for a stove! I agree 2 cu ft is a great size.

Take a look at the PE T5 also. It isn’t a cat stove but is attractive and very easy to handle.

I’d avoid the VC stoves. Some people have great luck with them, but they can be temperamental and finicky.

Do you have a budget you’re looking at? The Lopi Rockport is a nice looking stove.

Before constructing anything, make sure that the stove permits a clearance reduction and list that in the manual. If it is not in print, it is not permitted. The Rockport does permit this. With an NFPA 211 wall shield the rear clearance can be reduced to 12". To reduce the corner clearance below 9" it would be best to get written permission from Travis (Lopi) with the specific minimum allowed corner clearance with NFPA wall shields.

It looks like you will be ok with about a 2 cu ft stove. For stoves that qualify for the tax credit (now capped at $2000), in non-cat look at the Lopi Evergreen. In catalytic, the Rockport is a good choice. A BlazeKing Ashford 30.2 or 20.2 would also work well.
I actually revisited the blaze website and forgot I liked the ashford 30.2 I will see if a dealer has one on display near me. Those set backs give corner clearance off the back fans of 4” which is appealing

I also have a fireplace in a back family room and decided that the better bang for the buck was on the other side of the house in the corner of the living room / dining room L - we live in a 1970's colonial. I do have a VC Dauntless (flexburn )and I am having no problems with it - once I got the hang of getting the fire started:) We are also new to wood stove heat - using it to have emergency heat if needed, but mostly to keep the house more comfortable in winter. We light it up in the evenings. However, my stove + install was a little more than $7000, though I will be getting $2000 back this year with the tax rebate - you won't get your rebate till you file your taxes for the year you bought and installed the stove. On top of that was the cost of building the hearth - you can buy a hearth pad but I opted to build one and the various extras - ash can, wood holder etc. I had one area of my yard that worked as a wood shed, but it is not big enough so I will be enlarging it next summer - another expense:) We did not add the stove to save money, though I'm hoping some of the cost of firewood and starters will be offset in lower heating bill. We very much enjoy the added heat and secure feeling of having a reliable, off grid heat source.
Even though this install is to code, I do find the wall with the plates on gets a little warmer than I'm comfortable with right by the stove. I run a fan pointed at that wall which keeps it cool and also blows the warm air out into the room. I plan to build a small heat shield for that area.

IMG_1974.JPG

I appreciate your feedback. Your stove looks very nice and cozy in that corner. How warm would you say the room which it stands gets? I actually have surplus stone to build my own hearth and heat shield, so there is some savings there. I’m expecting to be in the 10k range for pipe, stove and install.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My living room is about 20' x 15' and the dining room about 13' x 13' - these rooms are open to each other. The temp in these rooms depends on the temp outside, how hot the stove is run, each homes individual amount of insulation and probably fan placement, type of wood . In my home when it is very cold out - like around 0 F - the living room / dining room are around 70 with my stovetop thermometer at 450-500. If it is sunny and 45, those temps can get into the mid 70's - once about 78 but we were not pushing the air out with a fan though I had the whole house fan that is part of the AC / heating system on and 78 is usual for the summer so I'm used to it:) In the back family room we have a faux wood log electric heater in the fireplace. That room has a sliding door and our dogs are in and out. sometimes they come back in and the door gets left open til I feel a freezing breeze:) I have a thermometer in the upstairs hall landing and its usually a couple of degrees colder. We have not tried heating the whole house with just the stove for more than 12 hours, usually only 6 - 8 hours - and then that heater in the family room is also on. The Dauntless is probably a little too small if I wanted to heat the whole house comfortably, but I think it would get us by in an emergency.

The only drawback with the Dauntless that I have experienced is the learning curve to getting a good fire going. I've got a system now which works pretty well, but I do need to spend 15min by the fire - adding a second log at the right time and getting it going well. This need to "babysit" is something many don't expect and get frustrated with. I just sit by the fire, working on my computer and check on it till its going well.

I get my wood from a neighbor with a tree service who also burns a lot of wood. I showed him my stove with the last delivery and he said next time he will send more small splits (diameter wise) - I think he realized larger splits would have trouble starting in the smaller stove - he has a big fireplace insert. My chimney sweep said the angles in my chimney can also increase difficulty in starting. However all has been going good lately now that I am more generous with kindling and "fatwood" starters.

My living room is about 20' x 15' and the dining room about 13' x 13' - these rooms are open to each other. The temp in these rooms depends on the temp outside, how hot the stove is run, each homes individual amount of insulation and probably fan placement, type of wood . In my home when it is very cold out - like around 0 F - the living room / dining room are around 70 with my stovetop thermometer at 450-500. If it is sunny and 45, those temps can get into the mid 70's - once about 78 but we were not pushing the air out with a fan though I had the whole house fan that is part of the AC / heating system on and 78 is usual for the summer so I'm used to it:) In the back family room we have a faux wood log electric heater in the fireplace. That room has a sliding door and our dogs are in and out. sometimes they come back in and the door gets left open til I feel a freezing breeze:) I have a thermometer in the upstairs hall landing and its usually a couple of degrees colder. We have not tried heating the whole house with just the stove for more than 12 hours, usually only 6 - 8 hours - and then that heater in the family room is also on. The Dauntless is probably a little too small if I wanted to heat the whole house comfortably, but I think it would get us by in an emergency.

The only drawback with the Dauntless that I have experienced is the learning curve to getting a good fire going. I've got a system now which works pretty well, but I do need to spend 15min by the fire - adding a second log at the right time and getting it going well. This need to "babysit" is something many don't expect and get frustrated with. I just sit by the fire, working on my computer and check on it till its going well.

I get my wood from a neighbor with a tree service who also burns a lot of wood. I showed him my stove with the last delivery and he said next time he will send more small splits (diameter wise) - I think he realized larger splits would have trouble starting in the smaller stove - he has a big fireplace insert. My chimney sweep said the angles in my chimney can also increase difficulty in starting. However all has been going good lately now that I am more generous with kindling and "fatwood" starters.
This is all great information. My layout sounds similar to mine and I like what I’m hearing. I appreciate all the insight and looking forward to this project.

I also have a fireplace in a back family room and decided that the better bang for the buck was on the other side of the house in the corner of the living room / dining room L - we live in a 1970's colonial. I do have a VC Dauntless (flexburn )and I am having no problems with it - once I got the hang of getting the fire started:) We are also new to wood stove heat - using it to have emergency heat if needed, but mostly to keep the house more comfortable in winter. We light it up in the evenings. However, my stove + install was a little more than $7000, though I will be getting $2000 back this year with the tax rebate - you won't get your rebate till you file your taxes for the year you bought and installed the stove. On top of that was the cost of building the hearth - you can buy a hearth pad but I opted to build one and the various extras - ash can, wood holder etc. I had one area of my yard that worked as a wood shed, but it is not big enough so I will be enlarging it next summer - another expense:) We did not add the stove to save money, though I'm hoping some of the cost of firewood and starters will be offset in lower heating bill. We very much enjoy the added heat and secure feeling of having a reliable, off grid heat source.
Even though this install is to code, I do find the wall with the plates on gets a little warmer than I'm comfortable with right by the stove. I run a fan pointed at that wall which keeps it cool and also blows the warm air out into the room. I plan to build a small heat shield for that area.

View attachment 309271
I have that exact stove and that exact material for my hearth base. This is in an expansion Im putting on. I did not raise my hearth. Wood flooring will run next to it level. What are the odds?

View attachment 309271
I have that same exact stove
AND
that same exact stone for my hearth base.
What are the odds?

Good morning,
I’m new to this forum and for the most part wood burning. My wife and I decided now is a good time to purchase a wood stove for the main part of the house. We live in a 2500sq colonial on Long Island NY.
We currently use a traditional fire place in our step down den. After consideration of installing an insert in the den we would not benefit from its radiant heat. It’s a small room on back corner of house with a small doorway.

With that said. We have an open floor plan on the opposite side of the house approx 1100sq’. We will be putting a stove here. There is the master bed and bath above the stove as well as an open stair way to the second floor. We like the upstairs on the colder side 65 in winter. We’re not looking to raise the temperature tremendously up there. I know being directly above the stove the master will see an impact of our new addition. I’m told by professional installers a medium stove is our target. My house was built in 1976, has new windows and R-13 insulation. We are a young family on the go. I would say the stove would be our main heat source for the most part. It better be with the investment we are putting into this.

What’s important to me is:
1-Won’t hot box the main seating area 600 sq
1/a - Will fit in corner install with 48”x54” hearth
2-quality product/warranty
3-Stove looks (focal point of room)
4-Ease of use for my family
5- rebate qualification

I’m constructing walls with 1” heat shield to minimize clearances to push the stove into the corner as much as possible .

My extended family both have Woodstock stoves. I love the product but the only soapstone stove that appeals to me is the PH model by Woodstock. It says 2300sq heating capability and I think that’s too much stove for me. I also don’t think I have the real estate for a side load stove. Also looked into the heritage stove, which wifey didn’t care for the looks.

I really like the Lopi Rockport and if the price is right I am going to pull the trigger. My second choice VC Encore in Red or Twilight but it’s scary how much hate VC gets in this forum.
Those are the products wifey has signed off on. I looking into the jutol, green mountain line and some blaze products but none of them caught my eye like the two I mentioned above.

What is the groups thoughts.
Attached is the layout of my house.

View attachment 309219
You might look at the Regency F2450