Q&A Stove temperatures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My wife and I just purchased a Jotul F600CB. the dealer installed it for us and put a thermometer in the chimney. I broke the stove in as directed following the temperature guidelines, however getting that temp up to 400 is difficult, even with a strong draft. My question is this, is the stove-top temp the same as the temp in the chimney?

Answer:

The temperature in the center of the chimney pipe is as much as 50% higher than the outside surface temp. So: 400 = 600, etc. In addition, the stove temperature can be very different from the chimney temperature. It may be more important to monitor the stove temperature, and many of our forum users monitor both temperatures. The best place to monitor stove temperature varies with the stove and the setup. Often the user manual will specify the best location for a monitoring thermometer, if it doesn't our forum members can often suggest a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.