Stove thermometer newbie help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Alright,

Stove is chugging along with a new load in it. This is my 3rd burning. I have been going all day and the thermometer after this last load reads 650 and it is in the overfire zone of my Rutland Thermo. The Therm is on the front top portion of my NC-13. Nervous slightly... The fire looks great and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong going on. Most of the day it has been at 450-550. Is it overfiring?

FireAnt said:
Alright,

Stove is chugging along with a new load in it. This is my 3rd burning. I have been going all day and the thermometer after this last load reads 650 and it is in the overfire zone of my Rutland Thermo. The Therm is on the front top portion of my NC-13. Nervous slightly... The fire looks great and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong going on. Most of the day it has been at 450-550. Is it overfiring?

Well, I'm no expert, yet the advice that I have gleaned off this forum goes along the lines of this.
1)Rutland Thermometers are not very accurate. Put it in the oven and see how it measures up. Mine was reading 75° high.
2) If you are smell that 'hot metal' smell. then it's probably warm.

I have a Rutland, one of those semi circle ones. And have managed to correct it by turning the oven upto 500, seeing that it was 75° to high and then giving the dial a good twist anticlockwise to 'correct' it.

FireAnt said:
Alright,

I think most on here would tell you that 650 is fine. I was having issues getting my new box over 500 for the longest time. After some tweaking I finally broke thorough. Before I knew it I was pushing 700. I had an o $h^t moment and blocked off the primary air inlet (on the back). Quickly cut back on the inferno.

I'm fine with running up to the high 600's.

rayza said:
FireAnt said:
Alright,

Well, I'm no expert, yet the advice that I have gleaned off this forum goes along the lines of this.
1)Rutland Thermometers are not very accurate. Put it in the oven and see how it measures up. Mine was reading 75° high.
2) If you are smell that 'hot metal' smell. then it's probably warm.

I have a Rutland, one of those semi circle ones. And have managed to correct it by turning the oven upto 500, seeing that it was 75° to high and then giving the dial a good twist anticlockwise to 'correct' it.

I picked up the semicircle Rutland last week and I agree, it's junk. When the stove is cold it still reads 130.

I'll be picking up a condar.

650 is fine for that stove. You'll probably hit that temp on a somewhat regular basis.

Those thermometers tend to be pretty conservative, and many times the burn zones are labeled for use on the flue pipe instead of the stove top.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
650 is fine for that stove. You'll probably hit that temp on a somewhat regular basis.

Those thermometers tend to be pretty conservative, and many times the burn zones are labeled for use on the flue pipe instead of the stove top.

-SF

Thanks for all the info everyone. I noticed the thermometer read funny when it was cold (100*).

Slyferret: Thanks. It's almost impossible to put 3 pieces of wood in the stove without hitting that temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.