Stove Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morganp107

Oct 30, 2018
Peru, NY
Hi All,

I am wanting to purchase a thermometer for my set up, and I am curious if it is best to have one placed on the stove pipe just above my stove collar, or on the face of the stove itself, or possibly both? Would the ideal temperature range differ from a thermometer placed on the face of the stove vs placed on the stove pipe? I have a 6in single wall stove pipe running up to the chimney connection. If anyone has recommendations on particular thermometers, feel free to share.

Im no expert, but mine is an Imperial brand. Got it at rural king for like 25 bucks. I trust it pretty good. Im not sure about stove top use tho? Maybe someone will answer that.

Hi All,

I am wanting to purchase a thermometer for my set up, and I am curious if it is best to have one placed on the stove pipe just above my stove collar, or on the face of the stove itself, or possibly both? Would the ideal temperature range differ from a thermometer placed on the face of the stove vs placed on the stove pipe? I have a 6in single wall stove pipe running up to the chimney connection. If anyone has recommendations on particular thermometers, feel free to share.
Wood burning stoves are like owning a boat, and you know what boat stands for.
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand.

:)

Joking ...somewhat..

I started with a STT from amazon (midwest hearth I believe) $25 and put it center back of my stove. I have a thinner griddle on mine, and early on that will read much higher than the stove. Id imagine you want to find the best place to take a reading, and your manual may suggest where that is. Mine told me to opposite of what should be early into a fire due to the griddle being thinner and able to heat much easier. (steel vs cast iron).

Now Im down the journey of a flue probe, cat, STT, and wall thermometers, requiring 4 K type probes it would seem and something that can handle that. Plus I want something that will run on DC power not batteries, and provide info via an app when Im laying in bed and trapped by the dog or out at the hardware store, skiiing, hiking or whatever.

My stove is a bit of a pain, and it's important that I keep my secondary burn at a certain temp, so while STT is important to know what settings I should typically set to at certain outside air conditions, it seems the more important temperatures are, for me, at the cat area, and inside the stove pipe as well (up to a specific area, which I still need to research). The third would be STT and the fourth for good measure is for grins and giggles so that I can check wall temps too. It might help me understand how quickly the room structure itself absorbs the heat in relation to the STT changes.

Thanks for the ideas there. I also have a boat, so I also understand the Bust Out Another Thousand ;lol. I am leaning towards getting a thermometer for both the stove pipe and the stove top, in your experience, is one more helpful than the other?

Flue probe all the way. Gives immediate readings on internal temperature, which is way more important than surface temperature. Wish I could have one on the ZC in the Northwoods. Really made a difference on the stove at home.

Reactions: Gearhead660
For the stove pipe, I would recommend a probe type. More accurate than the magnetic ones. I run an Auber.
For the stove top, the magnetic would be sufficient.

Thanks for the ideas there. I also have a boat, so I also understand the Bust Out Another Thousand ;lol. I am leaning towards getting a thermometer for both the stove pipe and the stove top, in your experience, is one more helpful than the other?
I dont have experience, Im a newbie.
I have one for the Stove top. I obsessively kept the stove below 600 and above 400. New stove. I use well seasoned hardwoods. Only ran through about 1/2 a face cord. One day last week, I started a fire with kindling, then I added some smaller splits to build up the coals, then a few mediums. Once the mediums were almost burned down and it was time to go to bed, I loaded up the stove. I set the air control on high to get that all going with the damper open (not running through secondary which on my stove routes air under the back and up through a back wall). I did this intentionally to avoid the stove from stalling with a fresh pile of wood impeding air flow and smothering the coals.
I opened the top hatch on my stove, which my stove has to load wood, and watched as the flames washed over the wood, almost like a blowtorch, and then instead of coming up through the top hatch they quickly reroute up through the back top of the stove where it exits up the stove pipe. I do this inspection because it's hard to see what the stove is 'doing' as my windows are always dark and due to the way it burns toward the back it's hard to see anyway.
Well I left the top door open long enough, longer than I normally do as someone in my family wanted to see the wood and the flames, that it cause the stove pipe hot enough to catch whatever creosote was in there on fire. Some call it a creosote 'burn off', many others call it what it is , a chimney fire.
Creosote build up enough to catch in a new stove with that little wood running through it? Yes. I couldnt believe it. Still dont. I did a visual inspection the next day with my phone, and while the pipes look clean the joints have some stuff on it. What I heard was a crackling sound like tiny metallic popcorn was popping every second for about 30 - 60 seconds. I also had smoke puff out of my stove pipe a couple of times. VERY concerning.
Why did this happen? Well, the stove sucks..that's first and foremost. Vermont Castings. No one could convince me this design is safe and efficient. It's dangerous and stupid.
That said, I created a creosote monster apparently by putting alot of wood in there, that just smoldered. The STT stated it was above 400 degrees, and while I would let it burn on high to get caught, I would lower it down alot as to not overheat the room or to burn overnight. Apparently, an overnight burn in this stove is not possible without a catalyst that will help burn that smoke up more before exiting. Nothing like that was mentioned in the manual.
Im someone that checked on this stove many times through the night to ensure it was above 400. But sure, at one point it drops down. A couple of times I woke up to half or just under half a stove full of dark wood. Here I was thinking I was burning efficiently. The room was warm, and I only used 8 pieces of wood in 8-9 hours and still have enough left over to burn until likely past noon. Great!

Im telling you this because for me, while STT is good info to know how hot Im getting it and can figure out about where it needs to be based on how cold it is outside, and with experience will be able to dial this in.

But for me the most important thing I can do now is probably get the catalyst that can be installed with this stove (why it didnt come with it is beyond me), then get a probe in there ensuring it always stays in the burn catalyst range. STT is meaningless to me to operate this stove safely, but is nice to have to adjust room temps. I think secondary for me would be flue temps.

If you read up from others about your stove, you will figure out what you need to be monitoring. But most seem to monitor STT, Flue Temps, and if catalytic newer EPA stove...a cat probe.

Get a decent IR laser thermometer. Hang it near the stove and you can measure the temperature any place you want. I can tell you from years of experience, the temperature varies greatly by location.

Been operating for years with magnetic thermometers, one is a Midwest Hearth and one is a Condar one is stove top and one is flue. I've checked them with my IR heat gun they work fine.

Get a decent IR laser thermometer. Hang it near the stove and you can measure the temperature any place you want. I can tell you from years of experience, the temperature varies greatly by location.
I do have one. I use it for my pizza oven. :). That's how I knew the outside wall of my stove pipe was 348 degrees.

I've had an IR for quiet a few years and like that I can get a reading on any surface at any time. After years of use I know what is "normal" and what isn't for my stove.

I recommend Condar. They have both and are reliable.
The stovepipe thermometer should be located about 18" above the stove.
Single-wall stove pipe gets this one:
Double-wall stovepipe needs a probe thermometer:

I recommend Condar. They have both and are reliable.
The stovepipe thermometer should be located about 18" above the stove.
Single-wall stove pipe gets this one:
Double-wall stovepipe needs a probe thermometer:
Thanks begreen,

I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to place the flue thermometer 18 inches above and still be able to see it. Would it still be worth placing it where I can see it on the flue (probably 6-8 inches above the stove). I placed a picture for reference.

In an unrelated question, I am considering placing a ceiling fan using the unused junction box on the ceiling near my stove. Would this be a desirable placement for a small ceiling fan?

Thank you all for your help.
PXL_20221029_174652415.jpg

LOL, yes that could be a challenge with this installation. So would reading a stovetop thermometer. In this case I'd consider a digital Auber AT100 or AT200 with a remote probe.

A ceiling fan will help move the heat that will want to pocket up at the ceiling peak.