Stove top heat fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I've got a Tomerson 3 blade heat fan, and I've been very happy with it, although sometimes I think I hear squeeking from it. Maybe the bearings? I'm sure others have similar fans, and I was wondering if anyone lubricates the bearings. If so, what do you lub them with, regular household oil, automotive oil or something else.

I use this fan to direct warm air into the next room. One thing I enjoy about this fan, is when family or friends are intrigued by how it works.

tomerson.jpg

Reactions: duramaxman05
They're not really great air movers, but they're nice big heat sinks. I bet mine doubles the exposed surface area of my insert due to the irregular and grooved design and finish. The fan part does contribute enough air flow to cool the heatsink and get some extra BTUs out into the room.

Mine does not have bearings... it's got dirt cheap little Chinese electric motor with plastic bushings.

Tell your curious friends to start with this great article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator

It unfortunately does a poor job explaining the difference between a TEG and a TEC (or Peltier), but it's a good read.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoDoug
Same here; no lubrication despite having run it really hot (to the point that the bimetal strip at the bottom starts bending lifting the fan up off of the stove top to avoid overheating it- this was on my previous stove, where I had accidentally put it on the metal plate directly above the cat, where the temp gauge was mounted tht was only 1/2 inch long and it read 1600 F...).

If you can take the axle out (without bending it...) see if you can clean the bushings. Maybe there is some dust in there.

They're not really great air movers, but they're nice big heat sinks. I bet mine doubles the exposed surface area of my insert due to the irregular and grooved design and finish. The fan part does contribute enough air flow to cool the heatsink and get some extra BTUs out into the room.

Mine does not have bearings... it's got dirt cheap little Chinese electric motor with plastic bushings.

Tell your curious friends to start with this great article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator

It unfortunately does a poor job explaining the difference between a TEG and a TEC (or Peltier), but it's a good read.
No kidding, they're not great air movers, but it's there and turns itself on and off. LOL I'm guessing mine doesn't have bearings either if your's doesn't. I need to grab a screw driver and see what's in there. That is an interesting article, it's amazing how long this technology has been known. Thanks for the links.

Same here; no lubrication despite having run it really hot (to the point that the bimetal strip at the bottom starts bending lifting the fan up off of the stove top to avoid overheating it- this was on my previous stove, where I had accidentally put it on the metal plate directly above the cat, where the temp gauge was mounted tht was only 1/2 inch long and it read 1600 F...).

If you can take the axle out (without bending it...) see if you can clean the bushings. Maybe there is some dust in there.
I've had my bimetal strip lift the fan up, but I wasn't anywhere near your temps! _g I'll half to dig into my fan and check it out, it's an assignment, I'll report back.

I've got a Tomerson 3 blade heat fan, and I've been very happy with it, although sometimes I think I hear squeeking from it. Maybe the bearings? I'm sure others have similar fans, and I was wondering if anyone lubricates the bearings. If so, what do you lub them with, regular household oil, automotive oil or something else.

I use this fan to direct warm air into the next room. One thing I enjoy about this fan, is when family or friends are intrigued by how it works.

View attachment 270400
We have one of these on our small stove in our 200 sqft dining room. It works but only in that room.

I took it mostly apart, but my tiny allen wrenches couldn't handle the set screw.. so I gave up and sprayed a small amount of Magic Reel onto the spindle, the squeaking stopped.

Reactions: stoveliker
Last edited: