Stove top or chimmeny for a thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
I have a new Woodstock stove which came with a stove top thermometer - seems to work okay but notice alot that have them in chimmeny

What are the pros and cons

I've been down this road quite a bit, (as folks in here will attest to), so my two cents:

A) I have two Thermometers on the body of the stove, to find a "Delta" (average) between the two readings.
B) I have a Flue Thermometer that I installed a few months ago.
C) I bought a Laser Meter ("IR") to triple check my temp readings.
C) My Chimney Sweep (a Licensed Professional) states that I should pay more attention to my Flue Thermometer
D) My Dealership who sold me the stove, states that the temps showing on my thermometers on the body of the stove are more important.

In the end, it's all about getting to know your own system (all systems vary somewhat) and what it typically produces for temps to see what the average is. Your owners manual for your stove will tell you what temps to stay within, to avoid damage to your stove.

As for the various thermometers I use...........I don't know WHICH one to trust most. But I DO use them to give myself an IDEA of what temps TYPICALLY are found in my burns, in my system. Some common sense rules apply. If you have an inferno going all the time, you could (apparently) damage your stove, (I say "apparently" because I've not done any damage to my stove yet, and my temps go up to 650ºF or so, as a nominal, stating a "Delta" between the three thermometers).

I accept the fact that I'm going to have a very HOT fire when the wood gets cranking, and I look for the "cruising temp" where I have a good bed of glowing coals developed, and only a couple of splits on the fire, burning away, with the damper closed as much as I can without stopping the fire, .......seems to keep the temp in the Flue from getting in the "Red" zone, and the Temps on the stove in a reasonable range.

Since I DON'T own a Soapstone stove, I'm not sure where the best place (on your stove) IS, for the thermometer. Obviously "Soapstone" stays warmer, longer than steel, AND I don't know if you're better off putting your thermometer ON the Soapstone, or on the steel superstructure.

-Soupy1957

Both are important and for different reasons as Soupy led to.

Stove top - to keep an eye on the stove.
Stack temp - to keep an eye on the stack.

They are informational. Helps you decide when to start shutting down the stove (stove top). Helps you decide when to pinch the air down even more, cuz your getting high stack temps (stack thermo). And if nothing more, just a piece of mind that you are doing it "right".

ps. - Soupy - you ain't gonna hurt your stove at 650F stove top temps. Burn'em if ya got'em.

Get another one for the stack so you can monitor burning in the bypass mode. It will help you control the fire and keep more heat in the stove prior to engaging the cat. After some trial and error you may find watching the stack temp more than the stove top with this stove.

so sounds like one on the flue will be good - any ideas on which one - easiest install ,etc

If you have single wall pipe just buy another from Woodstock. If double wall Condar.com has a probe style.

As has been mentioned . . . the stove top thermometer is useful in making sure you don't over-fire the stove and in helping to run the stove . . . the flue thermometer can be useful in running in the Goldilocks Zone (not too hot or too cold) to prevent the formation and/or ignition of creosote.

I find having both thermometers very useful in running my stove as efficiently as possible . . . realistically -- after having run my stove for over two years -- I use my flue thermometer more often, but I still doublecheck the temp on my stove once in a while.

As Todd said . . . if you have double wall pipe Condar makes a nice probe-style thermometer . . . otherwise it seems to be a matter of personal preference and choice for the magnetic-style thermometers for single wall pipe.

Keith, when we bought the Woodstock that was the first time for us to use a thermometer. Now I'd hate to be without one. We did buy a second one (from Woodstock) so now we have both the flue and stove top monitored.

btw, we tried several brands of thermometers and now will stick to the ones Woodstock sells.

I run both aswell. The only thing I don't like about my current set up is that my stove top runs pretty Hot, and rarely is my stack Hot. I usually cruise around 650F on the stove top which is about 300F on the stack. I have had a couple get away from me, but so far no damage to the stove.

I tend to watch the Stove top as my stove seams to like to get away from me pretty easy. But like others have said the stack temp is nice to know that your burning hot enough to prevent most cresot

Todd said:
Get another one for the stack so you can monitor burning in the bypass mode. It will help you control the fire and keep more heat in the stove prior to engaging the cat. After some trial and error you may find watching the stack temp more than the stove top with this stove.

Funny, I called Woodstock yesterday to find out if the sale is still on (it is, but no time on when it will end), and talked to Kelly at length about the stoves. When I brought up the topic of operating temps, she said to run it in the 350-500º range. I asked about pipe temps and she said they should run about the same as the stove top in general. They give you a thermometer and say you can put it in either place. Didn't quite make sense to me. I was pretty clear with my question. Did I misunderstand what she said, that you would find flue temps the same as the stove top temps? Nothing I've read here indicates that anyone is finding that to be the case with these stoves.

Call back and ask for Mike H. Tell him Dennis told you to.

Our flue temperature runs close to 300-325 (horizontal flue) degrees when the stove top is still over 600.

Battenkiller said:
Todd said:

Funny, I called Woodstock yesterday to find out if the sale is still on (it is, but no time on when it will end), and talked to Kelly at length about the stoves. When I brought up the topic of operating temps, she said to run it in the 350-500º range. I asked about pipe temps and she said they should run about the same as the stove top in general. They give you a thermometer and say you can put it in either place. Didn't quite make sense to me. I was pretty clear with my question. Did I misunderstand what she said, that you would find flue temps the same as the stove top temps? Nothing I've read here indicates that anyone is finding that to be the case with these stoves.

Maybe she's a newbi? Everyone at Woodstock I have talked to says the stack temps should drop and run lower than the stove top temps. Even on their youtube videos they show stove top temps at 550 with a stack temp around 250 and Mine run the same and rarely go over 350.

so I am assuming then that the stack temp should read btwn 200 to 300 on the thermometer sticking to the pipe. While the temp on top of the stove could be anywhere up to 600 or so??
If pipe is reading 400 or higher I would assume you probably have a fire in the pipe??

Just for clarification, are we talking about stack surface temps or probe (internal) temps??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Here is Woodstock's video of their Fireview. I'm talking external stack temps. Internal temps will be at least twice the external temps or a little more but it depends on your chimney setup and whether it's double wall or single wall. The main thing to see is stack temps should drop when you engage the cat cuz your bypassing a straight shot of unburnt flue gases through the cat which will burn the smoke and gas causing lower stack temps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDX8YPClCGg

kayakkeith said:
so I am assuming then that the stack temp should read btwn 200 to 300 on the thermometer sticking to the pipe. While the temp on top of the stove could be anywhere up to 600 or so??
If pipe is reading 400 or higher I would assume you probably have a fire in the pipe??

No fire in the pipe, just a hot ass fire. The Keystone burns a little hotter from what I heard, especially if it's top vented. As long as your burning dry wood there should be no chance of a chimney fire in your Woodstock. BTW, your install is very nice. Is that the charcoal? Lets see more pictures pleae.

kayakkeith said:
400 is not that hot of a stack temp, if it is on a magnetic temp sensor the flue gases would be 600 or so and not a problem, magnetic thermometer goes orange at 450 and red around 500.

Backwoods Savage said:

Our flue temperature runs close to 300-325 (horizontal flue) degrees when the stove top is still over 600.

I'll do that when I get the chance. I was mostly calling because I was asking about the sale, the other stuff came out in the course of the conversation. Your temps are just about exactly what I'd expect to see. Some Fireview owners claim an even greater temperature differential.

I wish I could get mine up that high. After I shut the bypass on my non-cat VC stove, top temp will continue to rise to 700-750º, but flue temps fall down into the 225-250º range. I'm supposed to keep pipe temps between 400º and 600º for the most efficient burn, but rarely can I keep them up there for more than half an hour. Stove's got a 57" serpentine flame path in the back, that's a lot of resistance before it finally hits the flue collar on the way out.

Todd said:
kayakkeith said:

No fire in the pipe, just a hot ass fire. The Keystone burns a little hotter from what I heard, especially if it's top vented. As long as your burning dry wood there should be no chance of a chimney fire in your Woodstock. BTW, your install is very nice. Is that the charcoal? Lets see more pictures pleae.

yea - thats the charcoal - I will try and post some more pics

Very nice Kieth, keep us informed on your progress.

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I'll do that when I get the chance. I was mostly calling because I was asking about the sale, the other stuff came out in the course of the conversation. Your temps are just about exactly what I'd expect to see. Some Fireview owners claim an even greater temperature differential.

I wish I could get mine up that high. After I shut the bypass on my non-cat VC stove, top temp will continue to rise to 700-750º, but flue temps fall down into the 225-250º range. I'm supposed to keep pipe temps between 400º and 600º for the most efficient burn, but rarely can I keep them up there for more than half an hour. Stove's got a 57" serpentine flame path in the back, that's a lot of resistance before it finally hits the flue collar on the way out.

Just buy your Fireview already. jeez!

Status
Not open for further replies.