stove top surface rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
Replacement ceramic blanket came in . Walked over to stove and saw this . Don't mind all the dust. Would the humidity cause this? It appears to only be on the top. The kettle sat on a trivet on the lower part of the step all winter. Definitely wasn't like this when I cleaned the chimney a couple months ago . :(

Attachments

• DSCN0278.jpg
    DSCN0278.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 426
Looks like some condensation or heavy, windblown rains might have got a little moisture down there.

DD,
The guys here passed some info on to me a while ago and i'm not seeing it here.
So...... Had a similar bit of rust the first year with mine. Look up! and make sure you dont have a small leak.
Mine turned out to be needing that high temp silicone on the storm collar and also down the seam of the pipe.
Got it caulked up and problem solved. Might be something to check out. I missed that detail on both of my installs
until these good folks here got me straightened out.
RN

It has rained pretty fast and hard here lately. The only thing is ,wouldn't I see water or rust on the dvl pipe? I don't think there is a way for water to run down the inner part of telescoping pipe is there? Stove is under a year old. Didn't expect to see rust on the outside for some time. Whats the best way to attack the rust?

DD,
You should be able to wipe that little bit of rust off. If not i'm thinking I would use maybe a 220 grit sandpaper and lightly sand that area.
Wipe it clean after sanding. Then give it a light spray with some good matching high temp stove paint.
Test spray that stove paint as I bought some for another stove i'm reworking and the can was mislabeled.
You should be able to just touch up locally and maybe 2 or 3 light coats following label directions.
The little bit of rust that appeared on mine before I got it caulked up good just wiped off.
Just wiped mine with damp cloth, then dried it good. Dont remember but it might have been running.
Check out that caulk job as well.
rn

i found a tube of rutland stove polish and has worked well for me so far. Just rub in and buff.

Speaking of stove polish, I was thinking of shining up the 602. Some one here had one polished, ( think it was the guy in Que.) and it looked great. I'm just wondering what happens the first time I fire the little jewel up. Is is like break in burns all over again?

Jotul recommendeds a couple smaller break-in fires before a big one when starting their cast iron stoves up again in the fall. Open a window near the stove to vent the fumes as the polish bakes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.