Stove top temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logfarmer

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2015
Ohio
Hello all, it has been a long time time since I've been on here but I have seen something that is interesting to me! I have 4 temp gauges on my Woodstock keystone stove just to see the temps at different points( just for fun) and I noticed just a wk ago that my Woodstock gauge that came with the stove reads 70-75* cooler than all my others. I moved them all around to see if it makes a difference and it reads the coolest and the others all read the same! So when my WS gauge is on the stove top, it may read 500* while one of the others will read 575*. Has anyone else noticed this?

Logfarmer

Most of these gauges are just a tool to make sure we don't overfire the stove. Or to make sure we catch a stove thats on the verge of a runaway. They arent exactly the most accurate but are "ballpark" estimates. I've seen 2 of the exact same model not agree when they are literally touching each other on the same spot of the stove.

What brand are your other thermometers? Last I knew, the WS thermometer was made by condar.

2 are Rutland, 1 is from WS, and the other one is from my old stove which says Vermont casting! I just find it odd that the other 3 read the same and the WS is about 75* cooler then the others. I know they are just a "tool" but Just strange is all.

2 are Rutland, 1 is from WS, and the other one is from my old stove which says Vermont casting! I just find it odd that the other 3 read the same and the WS is about 75* cooler then the others. I know they are just a "tool" but Just strange is all.

It happens. Usually condars have been most reliable for me and the Rutland products are basket cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.