Stove top temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Bear

Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2010
Southwestern Pa
I just replaced my 20 year old VC Resolute Acclaim, with a Lopi Leyden. The Acclaim always burnt very hot 700+.
The Leyden is much more controlled running 500 on a slow burn. What would be a minimum griddle temp. to avoid creosote build up?

I run my Englander 30-NC at five hundred to five fifty most of the time and the firebox looks like I threw a bag of flour in it and the only place I have seen creosote in the last four years is in pictures on the forum. Of course that is burning dry wood.

I say keep an eye on the chimney for a while and let that help guide you. If you see smoke one your burn has settled into "cruise mode" you probably have things throttled down too far.

For me, temp depends on what I am doing with the stove. Tonight, I really didn't need that much heat from the stove but didn't want it to go out. So about 3 I threw on a big nasty from the top of the wood pile (one of them that will not stack) and just left the air wide open. With no "friends" that single log burned at about 450 until just a bit ago when I looked and saw it's under 400. Burning like this, there was no smoke.

Now, had I packed the firebox to the gills and tried to operate it in this temp range, I'd be able to send the indians on the other side of the hill one clear message.

pen

My leyden touched 750 stovetop the other night. That's my hottest yet.
I don't know if it's so much stove temp. or how much wood smoke we're trying to burn at once. Like pen said, filled with wood, a hot stove still needs plenty of air or it'll smoke- unless you're into the secondaries. Stoves have different personalities though. My Leyden most always smokes unless I have very little fuel in it, or I'm downdrafting.
Wet wood is wet no matter the box temp.

Keep us informed of the Leyden's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.