Stove Top Temps: T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madison

Minister of Fire
I have completed the break-in of a new PE t6 pics (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23542/). Since the heating season is nearing, I and am interested in learning other users thoughts on stove top temperatures with their PE stoves.

1. What is safe maximum stove top temperature? I could not find any temperatures listed with the install manual.
2. Knowing that the following is fuel/draft outside air temp dependent, ~ what air control lever setting do you use to maintain xxx stove top temperature for your "typical" heating needs.

The past few nights I have maintained ~ 450 F (on stove top, not trivet top) at about 1/4 "open" draft control with 2- 4 (4-6" x 18") split hardwood (black cherry + locust). 3000 sq ft raised ceilings, ceiling fans a slowly whirling and temps thruout the different rooms in the house 70 F +- 2, outside temps low 50's F.

-- I read one post from this past yr and a mention was made of a graph of stove top temps, any link to the forum where those graphs ended up would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I am one very satisfied PE t6 owner.

The T6 is still pretty new. We'll be able to comment better in January. I've regularly had the stove up to 600 as measured on the stove top, not the trivet. If she runs like a PE Summit I would expect the stove to run from 400 to 700 depending on heating needs. Some folks in cold country take their Summits up to 800, but I'm not sure I'll ever see that kind of heat with our wood.

Summit heating thread (there are lots):
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5506/

Thanks BeGreen, bookmarked the thread and just started reading! Great thread! Enjoying learning the new stove.

FYI, my condar is ~ where you said you place yours, 4" front and left of the stove collar. The better half has made it known that she would not like the condar flue temp probe. Good thing I checked before I drilled the hole. So I only have stove top temp to monitor the burn.

I commented in an earlier post today regarding my recent experiments with my new stove. I have both a flu and a stove top thermometer. I found that the flu probe seems to react much more quickly to adjustments in the air and seems to be a more reliable indicator of "clean burning" ie, no smoke. Don't know if this is a soapstone thing or a general observation or if I'm the only anal retentive nut with two thermometers %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.