Stove weights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4cyl2v8

Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am going to be purchasing a new stove for the winter and am considering two stoves. For reference they are the Drolet Baltic, and the Englander NC-30.

These two stoves seem to have similar sized fireboxes, and clearances. The Englander stove is almost 100 pounds heavier. Not taking into consideration the weight effects on the floor (I will be bracing the floor with additional support) Is a heavier stove better at heating a given space? The heavier stove would seem to be made out of thicker steel, but is the Englander 25% thicker? I would assume that the heavier stove would take longer to heat up to temp, but also stay hot longer, and have less fluctuation in temps between loads.

Should I Be considering the weight of the stove as one of the factors when deciding which to purchase?

Thanks for any help and advise.

The difference is only 67 pounds. And personally I think the Englander quoted weight is a shipping weight and includes the pallet. The shipping weight for a Baltic on the pallet is 405 pounds. The rest is easily explained by the firebox size difference.

If i am not mistaken the NC 30 also comes with legs and pedestal now, the Baltic comes with only a pedestal, so slight weight difference there too.

Random thoughts . . .

In my own opinion heavier weight does not necessarily equate to a better stove . . . there are too many variables between two stoves of similar configurations (and I'm not really sure of the differences between the two stoves mentioned) . . . pedestals vs. legs, ash pan vs. no ash pan, baffle material, etc.

Floor bracing . . . I suspect a lot of folks worry about the weight of a stove and picture it crashing through their floor and into their basement. I also suspect that most homes are up to the task of handling the weight . . . and if in doubt a solid hearth should help disperse the weight . . . that said . . . if it makes a person feel better and gives them peace of mind, beefing up the floor is usually pretty simple to do.

Longer heat . . . I suppose a stove with thicker metal might retain heat a bit longer, but I also suspect that there are many other factors to getting longer burns and evening out the heat in a home . . . namely being able to distribute the heat through the entire home, having a home with decent insulation, having the right size stove, knowing how to run the stove, knowing how to load the stove to get the amount of heat you need, etc.

Thanks for the advise all. I was thinking about thickness of the steel, or maybe the weight/density of the firebricks might have some effect but I was not sure how much I should be concerned with it. I do like the north/south wood stacking method of the Baltic. I guess I will go and look at them both and decide.

The 30-NC and the Baltic are both 3/16" steel stove bodies with the 30 having a 1/4" inch top plate and 5/16" on the Baltic. Which is a wash since the 30 has the shallow step bent into the top plate for rigidity while the Baltic is a flat top so either one should resist warping exactly the same.

Get the one ya like and light that sucker up. Either one will be a good wood stove.

And they are both made from steel just like God intended wood stoves to be. :smirk:

And they are both made from steel just like God intended wood stoves to be.

That God must have been born around 1940 methinks. Thor was pouring cast iron long before. And man has been making stoves out of brick and stone for a few millenia before that. :coolsmile:

BeGreen said:

That God must have been born around 1940 methinks. Thor was pouring cast iron long before. And man has been making stoves out of brick and stone for a few millenia before that. :coolsmile:

Some times man takes a long time to get it right. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Steel is for snow plows, cast is for stoves. :coolsmirk:

And for the record, nothing is better than a cat stove and poly brushes are better than steel and oak take 24 months to season. Oh-oh, and the only proper way to use a splitter is in the horizontal position. And yes, Stihl is the best brand of saw.

I think I got it covered. :lol:

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

And for the record, nothing is better than a cat stove and poly brushes are better than steel and oak take 24 months to season. Oh-oh, and the only proper way to use a splitter is in the horizontal position. And yes, Stihl is the best brand of saw.

Blonde or brunette?
Coke or Pepsi?
Chevy or Ford?

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Blonde or brunette?
Coke or Pepsi?
Chevy or Ford?

Don't be silly, the correct answer to those are sooo obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.