Stove Whistle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Well it took awhile, but I finally got on the forum thanks to Craig. I'm getting rid of AOL next week!

Has anyone had a stove that whistles? My stove whistels when I adjust my air to just above the lowest setting. It's a steady humming that lasts until the fire is coals. I usually just adjust the air lever until the whistle is gone but it can really be annoying sometimes. I think it started last season when I installed my liner.

I had a whistle coming from our pellet stove. It seems to have been coming from the door seal. After tightening the latches a tad and haven't heard it since. Perhaps examining the seals will show something? See if there is some little piece of crud is embedded somewhere. Also, make sure nothing is obstructing the air inlet. (Wherever did little Tommy lose that little matchbox car anyway?) :)

The door seals are good. It sounds like it coming from somewhere around the air intake. I looked for any blockage and found none. Maybe it's so happy it just likes to whistle?

Oh Yes! I just got my whistling Hearthstone Phoenix problem solved. Bought it used, and now I know why it was in such good shape, yet such a deal. The whistling must have driven the previous owner crazy, so he just didn't use it. Sucker whistled long and steady, regardless of door, damper, ash door, whatever. finally got help from the Hearthstone site. I got a couple of metal clips and popped them into the secondary burn air intakes. The semi-obstruction of these holes didn't hinder intake, but distrupted the flow just enough to break the fluting noise. So, if you have secondary burners, find where the air intakes are (on the bottom of the stove, at the bottom) and find something to put in there that a) won't burn b) doesn't obstruct the air flow and c) does disrupt the flow enough the break the fluting effect. That's my take. Even the folks at the local Hearthstone dealership were stumped. Now they know.

Well, creeker, you win the prize...you managed to dredge up a post from almost exactly 4 years ago to the day. Good job. Rick

Wow, talk about an old thread. That was my old Hearthstone Homestead that had the whistle and it was coming from the air intake. I never did figure out what was causing it.

But now you must be whistling a happy tune Todd. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.