Q&A Stovepipe up through roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm want to install my woodburning stove and I'm at the point where I need to cut the hole through the roof. My roof is just a series of 12" x 3/4" tongue and groove boards. I have box I was told i need to install but I can't believe I have to cut a 17" hole through the roof to accommodate the stove pipe. the pipe is 10" why cant I just run the pipe through the roof. It will only be going through 3/4" of wood. Does it get that hot? Is there another solution? I wont do anything until I'm absolutely sure that I need to cut a large hole. Any help would be great!

Answer:

Depends on the pipe...assuming you have class A chimney- the clearance is usually 2" from any wood. For instance- if the outer diameter of the pipe was 10"- then a 14" hole would be needed. The actual clearance is usually established by the actual ceiling support kit which comes with the kit. Please be sure to follow the instructions for your brand to the letter !

Status
Not open for further replies.