stovetop steamer looks awful

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Got one of those enameled stovetop steamers a few years ago and it just looks like crap now. Enamel chipping off everywhere. Perhaps I could wirebrush it and repaint with some black high-temp spray paint, but I doubt it'd last long. Dunno if there's something I could have done to prevent it. I'm wondering if it's better to get one of cast iron (like those old-fashioned frying pans) and skip any paint or enamel.

We've been using a cast iron one that my wife bought at TSC a few years back. Just like her cast pots and pans, should last forever. Wasn't too expensive either and has a cool horse design on the lid.

Sounds like it was either defective or poorly made. A good one should last a lifetime, enameled or not. The downside of an unenameled cast steamer is that it may rust. But the upside is that it should be easy to make it look like new again with a little steel wool and stove polish or hi-temp paint.

You might want to contact John Wright and see what the warranty is on their steamers. If these are still made completely in the US that's a nice plus too.

http://www.jwright.com//index.cfm?CategoryID=8&do=list

Trktrd said:
We've been using a cast iron one that my wife bought at TSC a few years back. Just like her cast pots and pans, should last forever. Wasn't too expensive either and has a cool horse design on the lid.

Sounds like the one I've got on my stove top. It is pictured in my avatar. Looks as good as new. Inside is crudded up but that's to be expected. I have it sitting on a trivit.

Ya know, I've been bandying around the idea of sending an
uncoated Cast Iron steamer to the Jet Hot guys that did my
Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust Heat Shields with Matte
Black Ceramic Powdercoat to see if that would hold up on a stovetop...

Status
Not open for further replies.