Strange Lopi AGP insert issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lagger

Feeling the Heat
Apr 2, 2014
Bloomingburg NY
only when on a t-stat.. did not see this happening last two years, frequently if I am running on the t-stat (see sig) and it goes into shut down mode, either from reaching temp (2 deg swing btw) or when the program tells it to shut down, it shuts down incompletely in that the blower stays on and the "Stop" light on the control panel flashes until I manually hit the control panel stop button. The manual stated that the flashing red light indicates this is caused by

"A failed combustion blower, pressure switch, or
push auger can cause this error"

page 44 or the manual

since the stove is in shut down mode these seem unlikely to be the problem.

this issue never happens when I am running on manual (non-t-stat) and do a manual shutdown via the control panel

any thoughts ?

only when on a t-stat.. did not see this happening last two years, frequently if I am running on the t-stat (see sig) and it goes into shut down mode, either from reaching temp (2 deg swing btw) or when the program tells it to shut down, it shuts down incompletely in that the blower stays on and the "Stop" light on the control panel flashes until I manually hit the control panel stop button. The manual stated that the flashing red light indicates this is caused by

"A failed combustion blower, pressure switch, or
push auger can cause this error"

page 44 or the manual

since the stove is in shut down mode these seem unlikely to be the problem.

this issue never happens when I am running on manual (non-t-stat) and do a manual shutdown via the control panel

any thoughts ?
Have you changed the t-stat mode you are running? My AGP will shut down in t-stat 1 mode when it reaches its set temp. Gives the same code. Does what is designed to do on t-stat 2 and 3. Have not figured why, so I don't use mode 1.

hmmm interesting .. the insert has been disconnected from the outlet a few times .. had been on prog 2 .. will try that and get back

Last edited:
changed to program 2 and it stills throws th error as above .. wonder if it is the t-stat as I can run the stove 48 hours in manual and havee never seen the code at those times... does not show the error when manually shut down either

changed to program 2 and it stills throws th error as above .. wonder if it is the t-stat as I can run the stove 48 hours in manual and havee never seen the code at those times... does not show the error when manually shut down either
lagger, did you ever figure out the issue? Now I’m having similar issues running my insert in tstat mode with a skytech model 3301p wireless thermostat. Throws the same code periodically. Anyone have any ideas? I did notice that the convection blower does not have a gasket and does not sit flush with the duct?

No in fact I had a new chimney collar installed on the unit yesterday (I bent the old one... don't ask) and it threw the code while I was out of the house on the first burn, ran it last night and it worked fine on tstat mode and started-ran-shut down as programmed as it should, this morning tech yesterday was somewhat baffled by the code flashing, and suggested it could be an auger problem or a heat sensor (?)

quick update .. have requested a service call from the retailer as the issue is getting more and more frequent .. the service visit may take weeks until the tech can schedule it ... at the suggestion of the shop, I changed to program 3, which lowers the feed and fan rate to minimum when there is no call for heat ...but does not ever completely shut down... was working ok like that albeit at a cost of more pellets, but I woke up last night at 4:30 am, 13 degrees outside and it was flashing the fail light again and no flame etc

the manual indicates the error code for this means either an auger issue, a pressure switch issue or combustion blower... I suspect the auger as there is an audible click at times as it is feeding pellets from the area of the push auger

Last edited:
stove was serviced today and the push auger motor replaced as well as the pressure switch, the flashing red light code indicates it is one of these or the combustion blower, the blower has been working just fine so... we will see if the issue is solved, now running on program 3 which cuts the burn down to minimum when temp is reached but does not turn the stove off completely.

Having the same issue with my Foxfire. Thermostat setting 1 ends up having error messages. Thermostat setting three seems to be the only way that we can keep it from not throwing a code. It is brand new stove and has only been in operation for about a month. I clean it religiously once a week.

the foxfire internals are pretty much the same as the agp... mine continues to throw the flashing red light code even on pgm 3... seems more frequent during temp transitions such as call for heat from the t-stat from standby, changes in room fan settings and going into standby mode when t-stat temp is reached ... new auger motor and pressure switch did not fix it (460 dollars later, electrical components not under warranty) I am beginning to suspect,the control board(s) are faulty as the red light flashing indicates the auger motor, pressure switch or combustion blower faults and all of these are fully functional the other suspect "may" be the metering auger \ disk in the hopper, but this is doubtful. Maybe someone from Travis Industries follows these boards and can chime in

Sounds similar to what we are experiencing. Very frustrated as the stove has only been in use for two months and is brand new. The dealer keeps insinuating that we are making mistakes in the programming. And they tell us it will be a long time before anybody can come and take a look at it. I'm going to keep after them to get it looked at under warranty. It should not be so finicky in my opinion. Other people I've talked to you with other stoves have not had the problem.

keep at it your electronics and motor etc are covered for the first 2 years

Went to the dealer yesterday and visited with their service tech for quite a while. He feels we have been running it with too much air, recommended only having the restrictor post open about a half-inch. We will see. One employee said he had similar problems with his when he first had it and it was a matter of air flow. They both said once you find out what amount of air the stove needs to operate efficiently, you should not have to change it. He also recommended running in manual for a while to see where it is happiest with draft.

The agp insert does not have an air rod ( the agp stand alone does) but there is a door behind \ under the burn pot .. it has been all the way open since purchase (4/14) if that helps let me know and I will try closing it some

thanks

Saw the post regarding closing the restrictor plate behind the ash pan in the insert so I gave it a try. Set it to halfway closed and the tstat program has been flawless since (two weeks). Give it a try..... it’s only been four years dealing with this!!

Saw the post regarding closing the restrictor plate behind the ash pan in the insert so I gave it a try. Set it to halfway closed and the tstat program has been flawless since (two weeks). Give it a try..... it’s only been four years dealing with this!!
I will try that in a few days when I am due to do a cleaning again (just did one yesterday).. still throws the error code on tsat mode , even in 3.. lately just been running on manual and turning the temp\pellet feed to minimum when I don't need the heat such as bedtime etc