strange phenomenon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishKiller

Jan 25, 2013
Let the stove die out while i was at work today. cold and windy, but the sun keeps the house warm enough. got home and had to relight from scratch. After the the paper had burned up and the kindling had just started to take nicely, a huge gust of wind (40+ mph) blew. i had the door cracked to help start the draft and get things going. well, i got a giant puff of smoke out the stove door, and into the house. i understand exactly what happened and why. Just thought i would pass this story along and the friendly reminder that if the wind is screaming, stay near the door on cold starts.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Let the stove die out while i was at work today. cold and windy, but the sun keeps the house warm enough. got home and had to relight from scratch. After the the paper had burned up and the kindling had just started to take nicely, a huge gust of wind (40+ mph) blew. i had the door cracked to help start the draft and get things going. well, i got a giant puff of smoke out the stove door, and into the house. i understand exactly what happened and why. Just thought i would pass this story along and the friendly reminder that if the wind is screaming, stay near the door on cold starts.

Or leave the door closed if you are getting back drafts. Just add a lot of kindling and you do not have to leave the door cracked.

that was one of the first big back drafts i have had. like i said, the kindling had just started to catch. maybe more paper would have gotten the air hot and able to overtake the gust of wind. I only keep the door cracked until i'm sure the kindling takes. i close the door as soon as the kindling is lit nicely, but that gust beat me too it.

Or leave the door closed if you are getting back drafts. Just add a lot of kindling and you do not have to leave the door cracked.
Some stoves and some setups just won't take off unless the door is cracked for a short time. My BK Ashford never needs the door cracked, my Oslo just won't hardly take off without the side door cracked.

Fishkiller has it right. Don't leave the stove if the door is cracked open to start it. And don't fall asleep while it is starting either!

Status
Not open for further replies.