Strange place to put a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertVL

Sep 3, 2008
Any ideas on how I can build up this area to hold a wood stove? Concrete floor is 5.75'x5.75' and 15.75" below the living room floor
My plan is to knock out the wall on the left(join up with the living room) and replace the sliding glass door with a wall and to run the chimney pipe out of the right wall

Also should I leave the floor like it is or should I raise it up equal to the other floor?

Thanks

Robert VanLane
Aomori Japan

102844347.jpg

I think you need more pics, maybe a before and after layout. Building it up would be easy, just not sure where you want the stove to face, where the wood is stored, etc...

^what he said...+very tight indeed = bad idea.

Cabbagetractor7 and Pookjemima- you're right, but they're taking down one wall so it'll be in a corner. If it's a tight space still- then raise the floor and no biggie. There's lots of threads on shielding and clearances to give some ideas.

Seems like it could work. Could you post a quick floorplan sketch? It's easier to visualize with a top view plan. The roughly 6 ft square space should be plenty once clearances to combustibles are satisfied. Whether to raise it or not is your call. On one hand I'd be tempted to leave the floor alone to save money but on the other, it would be nice to raise the stove up to the living room visual level so that you can see the fire. If so, the stove might be placed at a 45 angle in that raised floor corner.

Double-wall pipe will help keep clearances down depending on the stove. Which one did you decide on? If it is the Chinese model, do you have the clearance specifications for it?

BeGreen has it right as I posted before, we need a better idea of what "You" want it to be and look like. Eschew, good one, God Bless You :roll:

BeGreen said:
Seems like it could work. Could you post a quick floorplan sketch? It's easier to visualize with a top view plan. The roughly 6 ft square space should be plenty once clearances to combustibles are satisfied. Whether to raise it or not is your call. On one hand I'd be tempted to leave the floor alone to save money but on the other, it would be nice to raise the stove up to the living room visual level so that you can see the fire. If so, the stove might be placed at a 45 angle in that raised floor corner.

Double-wall pipe will help keep clearances down depending on the stove. Which one did you decide on? If it is the Chinese model, do you have the clearance specifications for it?

With the wall out of there , the room will be 17.9'W x 32.8'L and the stove will sit in the corner or against the outside wall
I will put fireproof siding on the both walls and then put a 3.9' x 3.9' x 3.9' brick wall against the siding
The wall that used to be the sliding glass door will have a small 2'x2' door and I will store the wood outside under the roof and pass it in as it is needed
I am sorry I dont have any software for floor plans , still draw everything out with pencil and paper
More pics available here
And here

Thanks

Robert VanLane

The view of where the stove will go from the outside and the place where the wood will be stored in the winter
102844351.gif

Raise the floor. A step down to a wood stove could be hazardous....one stumble and a hot stove will be breaking your fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.