Structure support under fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Makes sense......

I bought a house 40 yrs ago that was full of shoddy , half assed work. I found out about a lot of cut corners through the years, fixed them the way it was supposed to be done. Now I’m selling the house with confidence that I corrected a lot of the mistakes , cut corners or shoddy craftsmanship .

Thanks all! I definitely agree...not trying to cause future problems for future owners (I already know how frustrating that can be).

I think I was originally curious why I couldn’t just use the existing structure (wood joists), beef them up a bit; and then add at least 4-6” of non-combustible material above them. (Thinking that was going to be a much safer alternative than what was currently there).

I suppose (if I didn’t want to build an entire structure down below, going all the way to the basement floor)... I could remove the arched wood joists, attach some angle iron to the header, run steel channels from the angle iron to the wall sill plate, form a sheet metal pan, and pour concrete in there just shy of finish floor height (to allow for hardiebacker and tile).

Does that sound acceptable?

Thanks all! I definitely agree...not trying to cause future problems for future owners (I already know how frustrating that can be).

I think I was originally curious why I couldn’t just use the existing structure (wood joists), beef them up a bit; and then add at least 4-6” of non-combustible material above them. (Thinking that was going to be a much safer alternative than what was currently there).

I suppose (if I didn’t want to build an entire structure down below, going all the way to the basement floor)... I could remove the arched wood joists, attach some angle iron to the header, run steel channels from the angle iron to the wall sill plate, form a sheet metal pan, and pour concrete in there just shy of finish floor height (to allow for hardiebacker and tile).

Does that sound acceptable?
Yeah there is no need to go to the floor with the structure as long as you sink the rebar into the masonry that is there it will all transfer down through that structure.

Reactions: COamateur
Yes, structurally it will be fine with the rebar tie-in, just get the wood out.
Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.00.24 PM.png