Struggling to get stove up to temperature!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Piggywigg38

Dec 28, 2017
Piggywigg38
Hi, hopefully someone can help with this!

We bought a 5kw multifuel stove recently and have been burning wood with success. We do find though that logs dont last very long and it is becoming expensive so we are trying to move over to smokeless coal instead.

We can get the coal lit and flaming, but cant get the stove temperature over 230f, and even that is a struggle.

We have both air vents open and ensure the coals have a clean grate to sit on but are really struggling to get the stove to a decent temperature.

Are we maybe not putting enough coal on? (We start off small but add until there is a 3-4inch depth of coal covering the grate in the firebox).

Any ideas?

Are you using Anthracite? If so you need to get a bed of coal burning around 5 inches deep. After that load it good and set your under air. Shake it down morning and night. How are you starting the coal?

Hi,

Not using anthracite, but Ecoal50 smokeless coal (which seems to have good reviews). To get it started we use a couple of firelighters (wood wool type) and 8-10 bits of kindling, with a few coals on top. Once that is burning well we add a shovel more of coal.The coals burn happily with a good flame and last for hours but just don't seem to kick out any heat.

Hi,

Not using anthracite, but Ecoal50 smokeless coal (which seems to have good reviews). To get it started we use a couple of firelighters (wood wool type) and 8-10 bits of kindling, with a few coals on top. Once that is burning well we add a shovel more of coal.The coals burn happily with a good flame and last for hours but just don't seem to kick out any heat.
What State do you live in?

The stuff your burning isn't really coal. Half of it is made from renewable resources. Mainly wood. It's to bad you don't have access to Anthracite. That's the real smokeless coal. Are you closing down your damper once it gets burning?

I am considering getting some anthracite as I understand that burns at a higher temp.

We cant burn housecoal in towns over here as it is too polluting so we need a smokeless variety. I can order anthracite over the Internet but would have to wait for delivery.

The reviews for Ecoal are very good and other people are having success with it, saying it puts out a lot of heat but jobs st does not seem to work for me. Oh well!