Stuck door handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven1277

Jan 12, 2012
CT
Good evening. I have a Jotul Oslo. On occasion the side door handle will become very difficult to operate. I assume its from creosote forming around the latch shaft. The only time it has happened is with an extended low temp burn. It takes some elbow grease, but I can work the handle and loosen it fairly quickly so it operates normally. The handle became stuck again this evening and I haven't been able to free it. I even tried taking it apart. I removed the roll pin and outside handle and tried tapping the shaft without success. I put it back together and would like some advice on how to resolve this problem. I don't think that WD-40 is the best option either.
Thanks for your help.

Try lubricating the shaft with never-sieze or graphite powder.

Graphite powder can sometimes be hard to find. Hobby stores usually carry it with the pinewood derby supplies. An alternate is rub pencil "lead" on the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.