Stumped: Osburn 1600 or Enviro 1200 Kodiak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CeeDee

Dec 4, 2018
Northern California
The options are kind of hard to tell apart. At first I was kind of keen on the US Stoves 2000, which has good reviews on Tractor Supply and elsewhere and is on sale for less than $700. I was willing to learn how to do the installation myself, but when I called the company to feel them out, I had a terrible experience. Like, really awful. If I end up needing any warranty help or have questions, there's no way in heck I can trust buying a stove from them.

That experience was so off putting I've decided to buy a stove from a local store and have them do the installation. There are two stores and both offer the True North TN20 as their baseline model. Our budget can accommodate a slightly higher price point and we like the look of them better. The step up from the True North is the Osburn 1600 and the Enviro 1200 Kodiak. I don't like how the ash pan looks on the Kodiak, and frankly I don't require one. But setting aside the looks, which one tends to be the better stove?

It gets down to the 30s here in our area, rarely any colder. It'd be nice having a stove that heats throughout the night, but it's not necessary like it was when I was living in Alaska. I'm not sure how to choose a stove for our price range. The Osburn is 10% off right now and the installer charges less than the company that sells the Kodiak. But how do these stoves perform?

I've done a lot of reading but can't seem to find anything that helps shed some light on these stoves and how they differ and whether one tends to be preferred over the other.

I'm going to call both companies and ask some questions. I like the idea of buying from a company that offers good customer support. Does anyone here have any recommendations for me?

Last edited:
I have an Osburn 2400 insert and am very happy with it. It likes to run hot... Around 750-800F and it really does heat our house very well (2200sq colonial with the stove in one of the worst locations in the house) Quality seems on point, I have no complaints on it. I imagine the quality in their stove line up is just fine as well.

Reactions: CeeDee
The Osburn has more max output according to the EPA numbers but the Enviro should also give you plenty of heat in your climate. The fire box sizes might not produce heat all night but hopefully would have a few coals left in the morning for a restart if it's cold the following day. With even fair insulation and air-sealing though, the house should still be warm when you get up. The smaller fire box is a trade-off you might have to make in order to not to roast yourselves out.
I see that Osburn says it will run on 12' of chimney, which means it should probably breath well when it's not too cold out, and it won't look like a rocket launcher on your roof.
You generally get what you pay for. The True North is thin 10 GA. steel...like another "value" stove I won't mention here. ;) If they have floor models, look carefully at the stoves inside and out to get a feel for the quality as far as execution and materials used...door latch system, secondary baffle, etc. Also think about cleaning the chimney; Is it easy to remove the baffle, is it prone to damage, etc. (But maybe you will farm that task out.) You can read the makers' spiels on the stoves on their websites, and pull up the manuals to possibly see better how the stoves are constructed, maintenance procedures etc.

Reactions: CeeDee
The TN20 at 2 cu ft is a larger stove and it has a square firebox instead of the shallower ones on the Osburn and Enviro. This means one can load both N/S and E/W. It's a good value stove. If you want to step up from the TN20 look at the PE Super 27 or with legs the PE Classic.
https://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacspecc.htm

Note that there is a lower priced version of the Osburn made by the same company, the Drolet 1800 that can be ordered online. It's a well made stove and a good heater, though again it is a shallower firebox that is an E/W loader.

Last edited:
It's a great stove. Very flexible with burning load size and miserly with wood consumption.

The interior pipe on our old stove is 6" and then it transitions to 8" as it enters the attic. I think he said the chimney on the roof is 10".

From what I'm understanding, the manual says the pipe and chimney needs to be 6" all the way to the top. Is this correct? Do we need to replace all pipe or can we use 8" in the attic?

The interior pipe on our old stove is 6" and then it transitions to 8" as it enters the attic. I think he said the chimney on the roof is 10".

From what I'm understanding, the manual says the pipe and chimney needs to be 6" all the way to the top. Is this correct? Do we need to replace all pipe or can we use 8" in the attic?
What's important is the ID of the chimney pipe. Some 6" chimney pipe is triple wall and has a 10" OD. You could check this by either finding an ID label (or part #) on the chimney pipe up in the attic or by pulling the chimney cap and measuring the ID. Even if it is 8", with a straight up setup the PE may be ok. It breathes pretty easily.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Doh! Yes, OD. Will correct. Thanks for catching the typo.